NEED ADVICE! My Cat Has Stress Related Urinary Issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kagelpj
New Cat Chatter

NEED ADVICE! My Cat Has Stress Related Urinary Issues

Post by kagelpj »

Hi all! I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. About a month ago I took my 10 year old cat into the vet for a check up since he seemed to be losing weight - BACKGROUND: he is a very stressed out cat, afraid of everything - going to the vet, loud noises, lawnmowers, trash pickup day, people leaving the house, going on vacation etc. 2x he stopped eating when I went on vacation and I had to syringe feed him until he resumed eating on his own again!!! Awesome cat but very stressed! So anyway I took him to the regular vet and they mentioned he might have diabetes they would get back to me with the test results in the meantime I brought him home from the vet and he started acting like he was having urinary issues - frequent trips to the litter box, then urinating on the floor wherever he had to and the urine had blood in it - NEVER DID THIS IN THE PAST. I rushed him to the emergency hospital where they told me he did have diabetes and and urinary tract infection, he stayed at the hospital for 4 days and when he came home gave me instructions on how to treat him. I started him on DM wet food right away which he loves! and within a week the BG numbers normalized so he only had to be given insulin for about 2 weeks! Right now the diabetes seems to be in remission but he will need to stay on the wet DM diet for the rest of his life which is okay with me as long as it keeps him healthy.

So here is my issue that I need advice on: since the hospitalization and all the vet appointments to follow up with everything he has been having bouts of stress urinary issues - the bladder infection was bad since he had to be on antibiotics for 24 days - he had another urinalysis to check to see if there was any infection left after the completion of the antibiotics and he was CLEAR of infection - but since then he seems to get stressed out and make trips back and forth to the litter box sometimes with a bloody tinged to the urine after about 1 or 2 hours he calms down stops the litter box trips and urinates good again! I am not sure what to do to get this under control - the vet told me she think it is stress related and to give him pain medication to calm him down but I don't want to have to do this long term, she also suggested Rescue Remedy for animals - I read on this forum that people have had success with CYSTEASE - can anyone confirm that this could work and maybe other things that could help with the stress - I feel bad for him when he get stressed and starts doing this - one day he is good with no issues and then the next starts the stress urinating - not sure if this is just a phase since he has never done this before! Thanks for any help or advice you can give!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: NEED ADVICE! My Cat Has Stress Related Urinary Issues

Post by Kay »

I would certainly suggest you try Cystease, or one of the several similar products - they are supplements rather than drugs and can do no harm, and I have found them very useful for idiopathic cystitis

they start to work after a few days, and can be continued indefinitely - best of all the capsules can be opened and the powder put in food, where is seems to be both tasteless and scentless

you don't need a prescription either, and can be bought much more cheaply from online suppliers rather than the vet
kagelpj
New Cat Chatter

Post by kagelpj »

Thanks so much Kay! I ordered the Cystease and will start it right away! :)
karolina_59
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by karolina_59 »

Hi, I was wondering if Cystease has worked for you? My kitten Shadow (10 months old) has been diagnosed with the same condition and it’s the first time he’s had it. He keeps going back and forth from the litter tray and keeps on meowing when leaving it. The vet prescribed Metacam but so far no luck and no improvements, it’s the second day I gave him the Metacam liquid.

Any recommendations would be amazing!