Cat started hissing at her sister

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
justinpdm
New Cat Chatter

Cat started hissing at her sister

Post by justinpdm »

Hello,

My partner and I adopted two beautiful female kittens about a year and a half ago. They are very close and have been such a joy to raise. We love them so much. Very recently, however, we took one of the girls to the vet for a check into her paw. After we came back, her sister started hissing at her profusely. This has been going on for about 3 days now. We've tried to separate them to give them some time off. We also gave them both baths just in case the one who went to the vet had a scent afterwards. Unfortunately, the hissing has not yet subsided even after the showers. We would appreciate any advice.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat started hissing at her sister

Post by Mollycat »

It's very common after a vet visit, but as long as you don't let it escalate into fights they often settle by themselves in a day or two. Otherwise as you've tried to do separating them and doing a controlled gradual reintroduction to help them along.

You could try playing with them at each end of the room, giving treats as they gradually get closer together. Have you let the hissing one get close enough to sniff? Hissing often isn't aggression at first, more of a "keep away" signal to something unfamiliar or suspicious. You would have to supervise very closely though in case the hissing is backed up with a swipe and you definitely don't want an actual fight.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Cat started hissing at her sister

Post by papa cat »

It was suggested to me that I should take both my cats to the vet together, even if the second cat doesn't need any treatment) (obviously you will need two cat carriers). That way they come back smelling the same.