Unexplained biting

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
adira
New Cat Chatter

Unexplained biting

Post by adira »

Hi! I have a cat who is about 7 years old now. She is a complete sweetheart 95% of the time, she just wants to be held and petted. But then she'll suddenly bite me for no clear reason.

It's completely unprovoked, I won't even be petting her, she'll just run up to me, bite my hand or ankle hard enough to draw blood, and then run away. Then usually she'll come back purring and want to cuddle with me just a couple of minutes later.

She's the only cat in my house (she hates other cats and dogs), and I just can't see a pattern to her biting. I've tried a Feliway diffuser which seemed to work for the first month (she only bit me once in that month, usually it's once or twice a week lately), but now the biting is back with a vengeance. I have been checking and replacing the Feliway as needed, so it's not just that it's run out.

Usually I'm sitting at my computer or laying in bed when she bites
Like I said, I don't think she's getting overstimulated because I'm generally not petting her or touching her when she bites. She'll seek me out to bite.

I've had her for about 2.5 years now (she's a rescue) and the biting has been a problem from the beginning but it's becoming much more frequent. It was only a couple of times in the first few months I had her and has been getting more frequent to the point where it's a couple of times a week now.

I love her to bits but I'm losing trust in her and I really want to figure out what's going on.

I go out of my way to play with her 2-3 times a day or more (for 10-15+ minutes at a time) and provide enrichment through other means too. She has lots of places that are Hers and has hiding spots and high places to keep an eye on things from. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of possible problems that could be causing her to act out.

She's due for her rabies shot update in October so I plan to ask the vet then if she has any ideas, but I'm looking for all possible solutions! Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Unexplained biting

Post by fjm »

How do you react when she bites? Does itgain her more, or less, attention?
adira
New Cat Chatter

Post by adira »

fjm wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:10 pm How do you react when she bites? Does itgain her more, or less, attention?
Usually I pull away, I'll often yelp in surprise but I'm trying to cut back on that, I've heard it can often make things worse. Then I usually try to ignore her but she'll often come for some cuddling shortly after and I give her all the pets she wants.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I think I would try leaving the room - or withdrawing in some other way - every time she bites. If she is using it as a way of attracting your attention then the less effective it is the sooner the habit will be broken. Perhaps training her to ring a bell by patting a swinging toy for petting and cuddles, or some other painless trick to get your attention, might help.
adira
New Cat Chatter

Post by adira »

fjm wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:57 pm I think I would try leaving the room - or withdrawing in some other way - every time she bites. If she is using it as a way of attracting your attention then the less effective it is the sooner the habit will be broken. Perhaps training her to ring a bell by patting a swinging toy for petting and cuddles, or some other painless trick to get your attention, might help.
I'll give that a try! Thanks.
+jbekkaz1
New Cat Chatter

Post by +jbekkaz1 »

Did you find anything that curbed your cats biting? I adopted a four year old male neutered cat from a neighbor. After being here about 5 months, he started biting me. At first he would come up to my chin rub and then all of a sudden bite. Of course my response was to jump. He also will get in your lap like he wants 'love' and all of a sudden leap towards your arm or hand and bite... he draws blood. Last night he got in my lap and we had a nice petting session. After that he laid there seemingly satisfied for about three or four minutes, then he got up. I thought he was either getting down or going to reposition and face the other way... but nope. He sat up, looked at me, and lurched like a rocket towards my arm and bit me hard. I had a thick sweatshirt on so it barely broke skin. Reaction from me was to pull back of course. Not sure how anyone can sit and do nothing while an animal attacks. It's not natural. After he bit me, he of course jumped down, and planted himself on the floor like nothing happened. I use to let him get on my chest at bedtime and get some face rubs. Not anymore. After last night I have pretty much ignored him other than feeding him. I don't know what else to do. Getting bit by an animal is one of my worst fears, and now I won't let him on me. I'm at a loss...