Help !!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Pj1970
New Cat Chatter

Help !!!

Post by Pj1970 »

My cat came home 3 weeks ago with a hole in his side .
Took him to vets , who stapled him and put on a cone .
Took him home and within an hour he had removed cone and pulled out staples.
Vets then restapled him put cone on and 3 days later he took cone off and pulled staples out .
He has now done this 5 times and each time vet has done the same repairs on poor cat.
I keep an eye on cat and last time he disappeared for literally seconds before returning with no cone and a gaping wound.
Two days ago I took him for his latest restapling and was told to isolate him .which I have done in an empty room with no furniture apart from his bed . He is so depressed.
Vet told me if he gets to stitches again there is nothing she can do as theres not enough skin to stitch .just now i noticed he can reach the stitches even with cone on as i witnessed him nibbling .....what do I do as hes going to die if he gets to them again and hes got 5 days before hes to return to vets.im so worried
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Help !!!

Post by booktigger »

I'm shocked that vet isn't suggesting alternatives to stop him getting to the wound, like a baby gro over it or a comfy collar. I am surprised he's got the cone off 5 times though, I don't think I've ever had one get it off and I've known them get stitches out, but not staples.
Pj1970
New Cat Chatter

Re: Help !!!

Post by Pj1970 »

I thought there must be some alternatives. Last time he had the staples out in seconds and totally destroyed his side in the process. The vet has not given me any options.
I live in a very rural area and the vet mainly sees livestock and alternative vets are 2hours away....which in its self would stress cat even more