Please help I am heartbroken- non recognizable aggression

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cakemix
New Cat Chatter

Please help I am heartbroken- non recognizable aggression

Post by cakemix »

My two cats Oliver & Jax have been buddies since they were 8 weeks old. Now 2.5 yrs old
Oliver had a vet appt yesterday.
When we returned home Jax wanted to kill Oliver and still does.
So much aggression towards his pal :(

Has anyone experienced this?
What can I do?
I'm so distraught :(
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Please help I am heartbroken- non recognizable aggression

Post by Ruth B »

While I have been lucky enough to never had experienced this, i have heard it happen to a lot of cat owners, so it isn't uncommon or a sign anything is wrong with your cats.

Scent is very important to cats and when one comes back from the vets they smell entirely different, and if the cats are used to the smell of the vets they can also associate it with 'bad things', being put in a carrier, being poked and prodded, having needles stuck in them, all essential things, but you can't explain that to a cat. So Oliver came home smelling not of himself but of a bad place, Jax has decided he is an evil intruder that must removed from the premises.

The normal advise is to go back to first principles and reintroduce the two cats as if they were meeting for the first time. Separate them, go through all the scent swapping and feeding either side of the door stages until they are happy with each other again. Don't be upset if they don't become friends over night, it might take a few weeks before they are happy in each others company, just take it one step at a time.