Blocked urinary tract - tips and advice?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
doupylou
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Blocked urinary tract - tips and advice?

Post by doupylou »

I’ve had Siouxsie, a male black cat for approaching 2 years now. I thought he was a girl, and ended up not changing the name!

He’s been a generally healthy and happy cat for a long time now, having settled in nicely to a new home with my older family cat Mia. They tolerate each other and Siouxsie is often playful and excitable around Mia. Over the weekend, everything seems to have taken a scary turn.

Siouxsie was growling whenever you’d touch his belly, and lower abdomen, which was VERY unlike him (no growling except when he sees birds!). This went on for a day or so, Friday he was growling and seemed uncomfortable, hiding, being unlike himself. Saturday, he could barely walk. Crouched down squatting, he was growling more often than the day before and seemed as if he was trying to wee, but couldn’t. I took him outside so if he could urinate, obviously he’s in the best place to do so. He was immobile, would not leave my side and stayed by the doorstep looking timid and frightened. It was horrible. In attempt to cheer him up I turned him around and flipped him over onto his back, belly up in my arms (yes, he’s my baby!) I know you shouldn’t hold cats like this but I wanted to get to what was wrong. His penis was extremely swollen, looking like a large lump underneath the skin (normal pink, barely visible and clearly protruding from the cat). There was some mucus on the tip of his penis which I removed, but then got more concerned. I called my usual vets, they said it would be a few hours wait and I’d get a phone consultation - not good enough (he couldn’t walk, don’t be stupid) - so called a new vets and they told me to come in straight away and they’d put it to the top of their list.

This is where it started to hit me that something wasn’t right. It had been not even 48 hours and Siouxsie suddenly had a life threatening condition. He went in for an operation (drainage and attempted to place a small catheter, it was too small) after being looked over by the vet who said he had to operate within the next 2 hours, or it could be fatal.

I panicked and messaged my boyfriend for the insurance details, which we found. Luckily we’re covered up to 4.5k of illness/injury but still have to pay a £99 excess (I don’t care). Siouxsie was prescribed 3 different medications:

1 dose of Loxicom oral suspension, for an 8kg cat (he’s overweight, but on a low calorie diet - I know this is common in obese cats but he can’t seem to lose any weight).
4 x Synulox pills daily (I crush in wet food with added water).
The vet has also prescribed 4 Dantrium Tablets that we give her a half of, 2 x daily.

We went to the vets this morning (Sunday morning) and the vet confirmed his bladder was small and he was not too concerned yet. He advised to call back tomorrow to update him and potentially take Siouxsie again. So at the moment I’ve been waiting for him to wee. And he won’t! I’ve been adding a small amount of water to his wet food, I’ve soaked a treat in water, he would not drink all day. Then, later in the evening he has a very strangely large drink from his bowl like he’s suddenly extremely thirsty (I’m panicking about dehydration). It’s Sunday and the vets closed at 4pm, so if anything was to happen I’ve got a 24hr vets noted down. But I don’t know what to do at this point. He won’t urinate, but he must need to, it’s been the whole afternoon and evening since the vet checked him. I’m hoping he will be okay overnight but I can’t stop thinking that what if it’s more full than it seems and he’s not expressing the warning signs.

If anyone can give me some tips on how to proceed or how to save my lovely Siouxsie I’d be eternally grateful. I just want him to be okay, pain-free and without this horrible condition. It’s also worth mentioning I’ve tried twice to place him in his litter tray today (Sunday), but both times there was no urine and just uncomfortable hissing and growling. The growling etc. only happens when he’s straining - could this mean I have more time?

Any tips or advice, please !!! :!: :(
Attachments
DDF66E79-E73D-4DFC-96C9-4D2854E87316.jpeg
DDF66E79-E73D-4DFC-96C9-4D2854E87316.jpeg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 429 times
7DF5F4EC-D460-411B-8211-86D72085714B.jpeg
7DF5F4EC-D460-411B-8211-86D72085714B.jpeg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 429 times