newly adopted cat, question about clinginess / kitchen safety

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
turnipsdad
New Cat Chatter

newly adopted cat, question about clinginess / kitchen safety

Post by turnipsdad »

I adopted a cat a week ago (my first pet/cat), and he is a sweet 2 year old boy who is already settling in nicely to his new home (a modest 1 bedroom apartment, with just me). Turnip tended to be a bit clingy when he first arrived, which was totally fine, and he is already making strides with being more independent and spends most of his days napping and playing by himself. However, he tends to get very clingy when I am cooking, he will run with me when I go to the kitchen and will be constantly in between my legs. I tried to just completely ignore him per recommendations from cat owning friends, but he will continuously meow and sometimes even hop up onto the counter as I am cooking - close to a knife, etc. I am worried that he might one day jump onto a hot stove or oven. The last two times I have cooked I have had to resort to getting him to follow me into the bedroom and closing the door. I have tossed him a ball which distracted him briefly but then he will wait by the door and meow until I open the door , when he runs out and continues to meow around me as I eat. I could use some advice on how to get him to stay out of harm's way when I am cooking, I would not like to use a spray bottle as that seems a bit mean. However, I am concerned that he will get burnt or hurt in the kitchen. I would appreciate any advice for a new cat dad who would like to keep Turnip happy and safe.

Some more context, which might help: I try to play with him at least three times a day for 10-15 min sessions, and since I am working from home due to the pandemic, I am usually home all day, except for 2-4 hour periods for running errands, etc. I try to give him as much attention as possible but would like him to be independent so when I return to normal work life and am away for longer periods of time he is comfortable by himself.

Thank you for reading my long post and for your help in advance.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: newly adopted cat, question about clinginess / kitchen safety

Post by fjm »

It sounds as if he may have learned that humans cooking or eating humans a source of tidbits. I would first make a rule never to give him scraps while preparing or eating meals, and start teaching him that the good stuff happens well away from knives and stoves. Perhaps a treat ball to play with while you are in the kitchen, or a scattering of tiny treats to find in another room, or even time his meals for when you are preparing your own.

Lovely that he is so companinable, though - so many cats are fearful for weeks in a new home.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new addition. I know from experience that sharp implements and a curious, hopeful kitty is a constant concern. Fortunately mine doesn't get on the side while i'm cooking but he's more than happy to check sides, washing up bowl etc to see if there are any scraps lefts that he can have. So while I can give you some tips and advice, remember these are coming from someone with a cat, who when caught on the kitchen side checking for scraps, just gives me the look that says 'yeah, yeah, whatever' as he jumps down, he knows he isn't allowed on there, but that only matters if he is caught and he knows I won't punish him for it more than giving him a hard stare.

The first thing as fjm says is don't give him treats while you are cooking of what you are cooking. A treat ball, or one of the food puzzles to give him something to do which will provide him with a few treats while you are busy is fine, but give him them before you start so he doesn't start to associate it as a reward for pestering you. If he is one that likes cooked or raw meat and that is what you are preparing then it is fine to keep a few bits for him to give him when you have finished what you are doing, particularly if he has been good during that time. If he misbehaves you can always put them in the fridge and give them at the next meal time so they aren't wasted and there is no association between him pestering and getting a treat.

I agree with you against using the spray bottle if you can avoid it. If he does get on the side then a quiet firm 'NO' while lifting him off is likely to be far more effective long run. I have heard off, though never seen, battery powered air blowers that are motion activated and which are supposedly better deterrents as they work when you aren't there as well and the cat learns to associate the deterrent with the area not the person. They might be worth looking into if you continue to be concerned about him going on the sides and hurting himself.

The other advice I can offer is along the lines of prevention of accidents. If you have a dishwasher you can put any dirty utensils in you are luckier than me, put anything in there and shut the door so he can't get at it. If like me you rely on an old fashioned washing up bowl and don't always wash things straight away, (I normally wait until there is a bowl full) then make sure that knives go at the bottom of the bowl with something on top of them, put chopping boards and plates upside down, he might be able to smell what is on them but he won't be able to get at it, and anything sharp he might try and lick will be at the bottom of the bowl unreachable.

When it comes to the stove, saucepan lids and frying pan lids are your friend, not only do they stop an inquisitive cat getting their nose in, they also save on gas or electricity. Make use of your back rings as much as possible, that way if he does try jumping up he will hit the cooler part of the hob with less chance of getting burnt.

Finally don't feel guilty if you have to shut him out of the kitchen or in a bedroom while you are busy doing something that could be dangerous to him, make sure where ever he is he has access to water, food, litter tray and somewhere to sleep and he will come to no harm if he has to be in there for an hour or so. Letting him have a treat ball or food puzzle while he is shut in will also help occupy him while in there.

I will also add that while i have know cats who try and put their nose in a pan of boiling giblets, or get their front paws onto a hot oven door to try and see what was in a casserole dish, i have never actually known one get hurt by it (with the latter we found out from the vet that the pads on a cats paws are incredibly insulated and they aren't likely to burn easily from something which would burn our hands). I think cats, while inquisitive are intelligent enough to recognise when something is hot enough to cause harm to them. This isn't saying you shouldn't be careful, but just that you may not need to be quite so concerned.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I have to start with a disclaimer, I have never had a counter surfing cat, despite only one of 6 in the last 30 years having been with me as a kitten. I can't put my finger on exactly what I've done to make this magic happen, but two when I moved out after a relationship breakup started counter surfing as soon as I moved out ... and yet I've never done anything to stop them, never had to.

Opposite, I DO give titbits while I'm cooking, and the cats are on the floor. If they did get on the counter I would show the treat and bring it down towards the floor in my hand to show that they get it when they get down, I don't know how well that would work but that would be my approach. My cats also all know that hands up palms out and a firm "all gone, no more" really means there is no more. If I don't have anything edible to offer while cooking, I let them sniff something - a vegetable or whatever I have - to show there is nothing of interest.

I don't think being on the counter while you're preparing food is so much a danger to the cat as it could be to you. Being under your feet is more dangerous if you have to move, for example to drain boiling water from cooked veg or pasta. Lucky for me Molly keeps away from moving humans but the dog has been given a boundary mark for how close he can get into the kitchen doorway. As long as he stays there he gets titbits. So what I'm thinking is more along the lines of teaching Turnip that there is a ton of praise and plenty of healthy treats but only IF he goes to his spot, if you have room in your kitchen maybe a bar stool where he can sit and watch you work. Again lucky me one of mine that I had from a kitten was a shoulder percher and happy to sit there chatting in my ears while I did anything from cooking to gardening and everything in between.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Reading what Mollycat suggests I'm remembering a cat I had (or who had me) while I was living in an open plan flat, who quickly learned which tile counted as "out of the kitchen". As I recall every time she came too close while I was cooking I gently ushered her back to that point and rewarded her there. Pretty soon she would sit on the exact line and wait for her treat. I was a temporary resident, only there for a couple of years, and had sworn "no animals". She moved in regardless...