Denver - how to keep him happy inside

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Denver - how to keep him happy inside

Post by hgale »

I have a problem.

I have just adopted Denver from my next door neighbour and I have fed him his breakfast (his first meal) just now. He is literally yelling his whiskers off to go outside but I have been advised he needs to stay in or he could return next door. They are moving and the flap will be removed over the weekend.

I have bought him lots of toys but beyond a cursory attempt at play he Is ignoring them. I have shown him where the litter trays are (filled with similar litter to what he is used to). How long would you all advise to keep my flap locked?

Thank you.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Denver - how to keep him happy inside

Post by Jacks »

To be honest if he goes next door it's not a problem once the flap is removed. If the weather is as hot as predicted it won't hurt him to stay in a little longer until the removals are done and the cat flap closed. I think that's the main thing as you don't want him wandering into the house whilst they are packing and ending up in a container or the back of a van because of the smells. Maybe wait until the new neighbours are in?

I know all about the grumbling and pleading to go out, but sometimes you have to be firm where there are issues of safety.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Thank you! The flap is already removed and there is just a hole there now. At present he is curled up quite happily on my lap! I'm not sure when the new people are moving in and I would rather give him his freedom again ASAP.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Once the removals are over and the gap is closed then he can't get into the house and is there any likelihood he would go anywhere other than to you? If not then he may as well go out. You'll probably need to train him to use your cat flap of course? As Jackie says, he will have to tough it out anyway - he's being kept in for his own good until it's safe for him to go out again and a few days of inconvenience for him will not do him any harm. Have you got some interactve toys for him, Helen? Da Bird/Frenzy for example, which you can play with him. Even a cat nip fish tied on a shoe lace that you can drag around for him to hunt. He needs to adapt to a new routine now he's family! Fusses to the lovely boy!

Will your neighbours cover the hole up before they go or will you have to go round to do it? A key thing is not to let him out till that gap is closed.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Hi Sarah.

The actual flap has already been removed so theres only the hole left and he said he would do it today. He's been curled up on my lap, lying on his back so he seems happier than he was. He seems happiest in company so I need to get him used to the fact I work, so I am going to Church tom (I was thinking of staying home) and shutting him in the conservatory/dining room where all his equipment is so I can get out the front door without an escape! It's only for about 3 hours so it'll get him used to being on his own for a bit before I return to work on Mon. Hopefully by then the hole will be filled in and he will no longer have access to next door.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Nice that he's a lap cat, Helen! Lots of cuddles whilst watching Vetty Who coming up.

What are you going to do when you go to work? Will you keep him indoors and then allow him access in and out (I was going to say innie outie then remembered we aren't TTCF at the moment!) when you are at home, as Jackie does with her guys? xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Denver is used to being out during the day, so I will probably keep the flap fully operational both ways while I'm at work. He's currently snugged up on the sofa having a snooze! He already knows about the flap - he tried to get in last Mon just after it was installed and he's been scratching at it today to get out.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh yes, I think I remember you mentioning that he came in through the flap before and suprised Mischa! Or what that another kitty who thought he saw a VACANIES sign up?!