Cat Crying at Night

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
maddiwaldo14
New Cat Chatter

Cat Crying at Night

Post by maddiwaldo14 »

Hello! I have a 1.5 year old ragdoll. He used to be the sweetest boy and would come to bed with us each and every night. A little after we got a new kitten (3 months ago) he CONSTANTLY cries at night. They have clean litter boxes, are fed before bed, and get fresh water. I also read up to play with them before bed, but this seems to make the crying at night EVEN WORSE. I am not sure if I should bring him in -- he has shown signs of anxiety in the past (fur plucking/excessive licking), but vet bills can become spendy. I feel like I have done everything but that. Can someone help with some suggestions on how they curbed night time crying?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Crying at Night

Post by Mollycat »

Ragdolls tend to be a loyal and deeply attached breed and although every character is different, I would imagine if your lad has been your only focus for a year and a half and suddenly he has to share you with a fun and attention-hungry bundle of energy, he's going to be feeling rejected and put out. My Raggie boy so desperately needed cat company I got another rescue cat - for him - but that didn't stop him getting jealous when the new cat and I were spending time together, bonding, playing and cuddling.

If he was older I would be suggesting a thyroid test, as night time yowling is a common symptom, it's not impossible but unlikely at that age. Playing might be making him feel even more left out if the kitten is getting more attention, have you tried playtime earlier and then a dedicated half hour for him to have treats and cuddles without the kitten around? My guess is he is just asking for his loyalty to you to be reciprocated.