Injection site lump on my kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Oksana
New Cat Chatter

Injection site lump on my kitten

Post by Oksana »

My little boy had his first injections on the 17th of last month. He has a little lump the size of a small pea, just about where they would have injected him. It has been almost two weeks since his vet visit. Should I be worried, as I don't think it has got smaller. He's going back on the 8th for his second round of vaccines. I'm hoping it will be smaller by then. It doesn't seem to bother or hurt him at all, he's his usual playful self. But I have read on cat forums that kittens can get something called a injection site sarcoma. My other cats, some of them did get an injection site lump, but theirs went away. However it was so long ago since they were babies, that I forgot how long it took for the lump to disappear
cattitudes2
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Injection site lump on my kitten

Post by cattitudes2 »

Definitely phone your vet's office straight away. They should be able to tell you if it's okay or not; that way you'll know for certain. Probably best not to wait.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Grinchy »

My kitten had one develop. I took her to see the vet and the vet checked it and said it was fine.

She didn't get a lump from the second round.

Her sister didn't get any lumps at all.
Grinchy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Grinchy »

Sorry, forgot to say it took about five weeks to go down from first jabs to second jabs.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Injection site lumps seem to have become more common since vets don't massage the area for a few minutes after giving the injection any more. They used to pick up a little of the scruff, give the injection, then massage the fluid around to help disperse it. I don't think the lump is the fluid, as I understand it it's irritation from the injection fluid, but dispersing it more quickly apparently helps reduce this irritation. But many vets don't seem to massage after giving injections any more.