6.5 week old kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lourosy
Returning Cat Chatter

6.5 week old kitten

Post by Lourosy »

Hi there.
He's actually 6.5 weeks old. Mamma cat isn't feeding them anymore etc.
I've recently (yesterday) got a kitten who is 8 weeks old. His from my neighbours cat litter.

I've got all the paraphernalia etc on my sons room.

We've already got a 11 year old female and a 3 ish male , both sprayed and neutered.

The female hasn't done anything, but Max accidentally was in the same room as Orion kitten and he hissed then ran off.
He's usually outgoing to other cats, and likes being social.
I live in a bungalow with 2 bedrooms.

I'm trying to relax over over it all. Orion. Is so tiny. He's eating and used the litter tray.
Just worried about him getting stuck behind things.
I'm going to try and isolate him when I go out
Not sure what to do at night.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Attachments
Orion
Orion
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 6.5 week old kitten

Post by Mollycat »

Try not to worry so much, if you have done your best to kitten proof your home there could be something you missed but if not he is sure to make his own mischief somewhere you haven't thought of! But just watch your feet as you move around.

Hiss and run off isn't a problem, hissing is just swearing and it might be as much out of surprise as any hostility. You would have more cause to worry about a silent but angry chase, or a growl and stare, than a hiss and run.
Lourosy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Lourosy »

Hi there, thanks for the reply.
Orion the kitten ate fog biscuits in his previous hike on the day I got him. The woman was and had been nice nonchalant about it.
He had.. Has diarrhea.
I took him to the vets, he's got special food worming paste and something to firm his poooop up. Plus she advised me to get sudocrem.

Yesterday he ate well. Today no accidents so far, but can't get him to eat so much. I put down little and often. Took stuff away that was left there half a day etc and replaced.

His bum is less sore, he's drinking water but not tons as he was straight after the dog biscuits incident.

I'm worried he won't eat enough. He's tiny, I want him to thrive and grow.
What to do..
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Kittens have tiny stomachs - about the size of a walnut. I would offer him food every few hours, aiming for him to eat several teaspoonfuls of a high quality wet kitten food each day. He will probably get hungrier once he settles in, and then go through cycles of being very hungry/not hungry as he goes through growth phases. If he is bright and playful, eating, drinking, peeing and pooing I don't think you have too much to worry about. If you are concerned about him getting stuck perhaps a cardboard box with a hole cut in tucked into a corner, so he can hide safely may be a good idea.
Lourosy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Lourosy »

Aww thanks 🥰.
I've been stressful.
He's in my son's big room, all his stuff is there.
At night and when we go out I close the door.
It's warm and cosy in the Igloo bed.
He plays a bit, sleeps lots. Wees poop(getting less runny) .
He's so tiny and fragile, but the weeks should see him grow. His mamma cat is tiny and he may all be the smallest of the lot. Not sure.