Please Help, after advice! 2 year old cat and kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Hudson
New Cat Chatter

Please Help, after advice! 2 year old cat and kitten

Post by Hudson »

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice -

we've had a female (spayed) ragdoll for 2 years, and we wanted to get her a friend to keep her company while we were at work..
we prepped a room with new posts, beds, toys, food/water bowls and a litterbox with the same litter he's been using.

we introduced him to the older raggie for 60 seconds when we arrived home with him while he was in a cat carrier, then we put him in his own room on the middle floor (3 story townhouse).

the older raggie hissed at him, and now also us because we have his scent on our hands.. we have left her alone to calm down instead of trying to pick her up and make it worse etc. however a lot of advice seems to say to fuss the older cat more. but she doesn't want to play, won't let us stroke her and she just stays upstairs refusing to come down..

I don't want to move all food and water up there as she may then not feel a need to come downstairs, but i also don't want her going hungry/thirsty.
I have tried scent swapping with towels and bedding from eachother so they get used to each others scent.. (update: i took some tuna up and filled her water bowl upstairs but she hasn't eaten all day and seems scared. I also put one of the defusers in the same room as her).

what do i do? leave the older one upstairs to do her own thing, try to fuss/play? get her downstairs and close the door upstairs (but then that's taking away her safe space etc)..

any advice would be appreciated.. I am planning on introducing them very slowly and not face to face again until she has got used to his scent, but currently we can't even stroke her due to her reaction!