Travelling with cats on a train - any tips?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jegpad
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Travelling with cats on a train - any tips?

Post by jegpad »

A journey from London to Ryde on the Isle of Wight - train and ferry involved. I'm transporting Hansel and Gretel on public transport and was wondering if any of you have travelled with cats on trains and if there is an effective sedative which the Vet can provide to reduce the enormous stress they're going to be under. I'm moving home and train is the fastest route and, I think, probably the least sick-making. Any advice on how to plan for this?
Many thanks.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Travelling with cats on a train - any tips?

Post by Kay »

I travelled from London to Poole with a cat some years ago - I gave her a prescribed tranquilliser (I don't think vets prescribe sedatives these days) which wore off half way - she was in the guards van, where I think you have to put animals and when she started howling - like only a Siamese can howl - loads of people went down the carriage to the guards van to see what the racket was, while I , who was sitting just outside the van, didn't move for fear seeing me would make her worse - it was embarassing hearing the comments about 'poor thing' and 'cruel owners' but we both survived

I think you need to consult the train company who will have their rules about the transport of animals - and I would completely cover the carriers, and make sure they have spill-proof water containers and litter trays, if there is room - Feliway spray will help if you can't get a tranquilliser - I would not interfere with them at all on the journey, as cats tend to hunker down and grit their teeth when under stress, and are best left completely undisturbed - the worst part will be the station in London, which will be very busy and very noisy, far worse for them that the train
jegpad
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jegpad »

Thanks so much Kay. Luckily I don't go into centre of London, travel from Wimbledon to Woking, Woking to Portsmouth Harbour and then the catamaran 18 min trip to Ryde Pier Head. I've done the journey myself and it's quiet. I think you can travel with up to two animals for free as long as they don't sit on the seats. Thanks for advice about leaving them alone and not interacting. Will do that. Going to ask vet about a sedative. It's a necessary journey as I'm moving to Isle of Wight, but it's the biggest wory for me, the cats. The rest is easy!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

when are you moving?

I think the train from Woking to Portsmouth should be fine - the service is airconditioned and generally quiet. What I would do though is maybe look at the fare difference between standard and first class as you'll have more space in first class. During the summer holidays the train down to Portsmouth can get really busy
jegpad
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jegpad »

Meriad, The move is not for a while yet - still in the throes of house selling etc.
I've made the trip a couple of times myself and yes, the South West Trains are comfortable and air conditioned. And when I travel at a quiet time it is a very pleasant journey - no commuters. My worry is the change over to the catamaran, noisy and vibrating, although only an 18 minute trip across the Solent to Ryde and then a cab to final destination. But what a lovely destination.
The vet is getting back to me about a more powerful sedative than Calmex or Feliway. Fingers crossed they are amenable to giving them both a jab of something equivalent to valium!