Help My 5 Month Old Kitten Keeps Spilling Her Food/Water Dishes

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
StrongMandy25
New Cat Chatter

Help My 5 Month Old Kitten Keeps Spilling Her Food/Water Dishes

Post by StrongMandy25 »

My kitten keeps knocking over and spilling her food and water dishes. I've tried many, many different kinds and styles of dishes with no success. Does anyone know of a spill-proof dish set or has had this issue and if so how or what was successful in stopping this behavior?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help My 5 Month Old Kitten Keeps Spilling Her Food/Water Dishes

Post by fjm »

I put a washable plastic mat under mine - or an absorbent one if there is likely to be a lot of splashing. Heavy ceramic water bowls seem to stay put best.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

We have a cat that likes to play with her water bowl and turned the light weight plastic one over several times, a heavy ceramic one put a stop to it, but we can still hear the occasional tink, tink tink of claws on ceramic as she tries to play with it. The other type you might want to look at is the ones that go in a raised stand, unless they turn the whole stand over they aren't likely to be able to get the bowls out and uptip them.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

mine doesn't overturn her water bowl but she does splash a fair bit, so I stand the bowl on one of those round mats made for going under plant pots
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

My Boo used to spill and splash water and it's because he couldn't really see where the level was and he would feel for it with a paw first. He would also wiggle a lot and adjust his position before drinking, and then always end up snorting some of the water and having a snuffling ang coughing fit. He just wasn't very clever at drinking. He came from a long like of being bred for his looks and his senses weren't as sharp as a normal standard alley cat, plus blue eyes aren't as sharp as coloured and often hypersensitive to light. Hardly surprising, he struggled to see water in a bowl.