Growing pains

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Justmai
New Cat Chatter

Growing pains

Post by Justmai »

I have 5 cats my 2 youngest are from same litter and are 14 months old. My youngest male tabby is going through a growing spurt he is eating a lot and his lower back and legs are bigger than the rest of him. 48 hours ago he started the odd cry while walking around the house last night he was crying a lot low pitched as if he knew it was nighttime he is not distressed but I’m wondering if he is having some growing pain issue?

He is due at the vets this week for his boosters.
His sister is always on the go she is a white tabby and she is also having a growing spurt but she isn’t sleeping so much to do and not enough time it’s go go go with her.

Do cats suffer with growing pains?
Crusatyr
New Cat Chatter

Re: Growing pains

Post by Crusatyr »

Mine is just over 8 months and is in much the same boat; his back half is disproportionate to his front, and he regularly wanders the house "yodeling". That's the best way to describe his meowing that my girlfriend and I could come up with. Sounds like Yoda trying to speak Woolie, if that makes any sense...
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Growing pains

Post by Mollycat »

The yowlies. Sometimes it can be calling for attention or a playmate, or expressing a need to run around like a loony to anyone who will listen. It can be a call to play and sometimes is done with toy in mouth, prompting speculation that maybe it's a mothering thing. Some cats yet the yowlies with illnesses - hyperthyroidism and dementia are two obvious ones. Sometimes it means nothing at all. In my cat's case it appears to have been frustration from not feeling brave enough to get on the bed for evening cuddles, though at the beginning I could get her to stop by booting my other cat off the bed to go and play with her. But now there is a dog it's the most interesting because any time she comes into the room yowling, he immediately picks up his toy or bone or whatever's nearest to her of his things and slinks off under the table with it.

So growing pains doubtful because some cats do it when they're old, mothering I doubt because boys and girl neutered and not and both bred and never bred girls do it. Invitation to play or being confused or not being sure where people are, maybe but not the whole story, nothing really seems to stick very well as any kind of explanation.