Heart & Hyperthyroidism = Not Eating

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
CalliesMama
New Cat Chatter

Heart & Hyperthyroidism = Not Eating

Post by CalliesMama »

Hi everyone. My cat Callie is 10 years old and has had a heart condition for 2 years now where every 6 months there would be a lag in her nervous system and she would pass out. Last month she ate cat grass (which she always does) and she puked it up (normal) then she puked again (not normal) and passed out, unresponsive. It happened the next time she had outdoor grass as well so we brought her to the vet. They checked her blood and determined that she had hyperthyroidism. They put her on Felimazole (1.25mg twice daily). She was on it for about a week and then she started to vomit every morning for the next week, and every time, she passed out. The vet said to take her off the meds. It’s now been a 2 weeks off the meds and she won’t come out of the bedroom. Seems to be afraid of the whole house (I assume it was because she’s passed out in most rooms now). She has also stopped eating. I’ve tried 7 different dry foods,10 different wet foods, even egg whites and tons of treats. She seems interested in some of them and will lick some but won’t eat. Just sleeps/hides all day in the closet. Please help!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Heart & Hyperthyroidism = Not Eating

Post by Mollycat »

I'm no expert but is your vet quite sure about the hyperthyroidism? Is it possible it could be Addison's disease, or simply progression of her heart condition? Because it could be the vomiting happens before the fainting, rather than the fainting after the vomiting. What tests has the vet done, blood pressure, scans, etc? Is there any more investigation planned now? Because fainting happens when the oxygen supply to the brain is interrupted, so you might want to try and get to the bottom of it with the vet.