Suspected oral squamous cell carcinoma

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AnnaSC
New Cat Chatter

Suspected oral squamous cell carcinoma

Post by AnnaSC »

Hello all,

It has been really helpful to see the information and compassion shared by people in this community, and I'm hoping to benefit from some of your perspectives.

Our 12-year-old Chloe has a mass on her tonsil that has not responded to antibiotics/anti-inflammatories. The vet suspects it is cancer based on its aggressive growth, and from my own clicking around, it seems that it is likely an oral squamous cell carcinoma. The symptoms are pretty much spot-on (noisy breathing, eating around/dropping dry food, some facial swelling, less energy, frequent gagging sounds/licking lips). We have an oncologist appointment scheduled in a couple of weeks to get more information on what are courses of action are at this point.

I am steeling myself for the worst since she is an older cat and any surgical options seem to have a pretty harrowing recovery with minimal (if any) gains. We adopted her as an 8-year-old, and are committed to preserving her dignity and quality of life as she ages. She is also a terrible patient and I can't imagine her living with a feeding tube. At the same time, it's devastating to think about watching her condition slowly deteriorate. She is on steroids and pain medication to keep her comfortable, and though her energy and appetite are still within the realm of normal, I know that won't be the case as the tumor continues to grow.

I guess I am just looking to see if others have gone through a similar journey (with this diagnosis or something comparable), how you made the decisions you did, what was helpful or unhelpful to you during the process, and how you knew it was time to let go. She is such a sweet girl and we just want to do right by her - as much as we want her to live forever, we don't want our attachment to her get in the way of what is best.

Thanks in advance!

Anna
Attachments
IMG_3021.jpeg
IMG_3021.jpeg (37.62 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Suspected oral squamous cell carcinoma

Post by Kay »

I have no experience of this particular cancer, but lost a cat to soft tissue sarcoma 6 years ago. It presented as a tumour in the pelvic area, which made removal very difficult. Because he hated leaving the house, I decided I would avoid all vet visits after the diagnosis, and concentrated on keeping him pain free as best I could. The terminal diagnosis meant any side effects of metacam could be ignored, and he did well for a couple of months. He never stopped eating, and insisted on going outside to toilet, although he was dragging one leg after him.

What I found really useful was to take regular photos of him when he wasn't looking at me - and gradually I saw through these photos a cat that was in pain at least part of the time - when he was interacting with me he hid it and his slow deterioration was more apparent when comparing photos. I called the vet out to end his life when his contortions with the useless leg made me concerned he could dislocate his spine. It was a great consolation to me that I had kept my promise that after the first vet visit for xrays he never had to go in his hated carrier again, or leave his beloved home.

I can honestly say that although I had had him, and loved him, for 13+ years, as he came to me at 12 weeks, the shock of the initial diagnosis upset me a great deal more than his passing, as I was concentrating on doing my best for him. And that sounds very much the way you are feeling with your girl, so I am sure you will manage very well, through no doubt many tears along the way.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I never got as far as proper diagnostics, all I know is my beautiful 14 year old boy was here one day and gone the next.

Henry stayed with my ex when I left, because with me he would have no outdoor access. I still visited regularly, most weeks for a long time, occasionally skipping visits. This particular time I hadn't seen him for 6 weeks, I went to visit and he didn't come to greet me as usual so I called him. He came down the stairs and as he crossed the room towards me he was walking on all fours but seemed to be dragging himself. He stopped short of me and went down into the loaf position. His face was swollen on one side, his tongue hanging out, and he was so thin. Ex said he had gone out as normal that morning, eaten as normal, been losing weight but seemed fine, and he hadn't seen him come in as H had gone straight upstairs. Within 10 minutes I had H at the vets, had to leave him for a proper assessment and they would ring me. I thought he had been hit by a car. When the vet rang she said it was a large mouth tumour and that although they would try if I wanted them to the surgery would be very invasive with a long recovery and they wouldn't recommend it. I went back and he was put to sleep in my arms.

I suspect I read the same as you have, about these tumours, how invasive and aggressive they are. How they have to remove so much tissue and bone, and put the cat through so much pain and trauma for very little gain. I needed to know, even if it was too late, that I had done the right thing for my 14 year old lad in his prime. I have come to the conclusion that even if he had been four years old and not 14, I probably would have made the same decision, and that a diagnosis sooner would have made no difference except to make his last weeks stressful for all concerned. Cats have no concept of the length of their life, all they know is I feel fine or I feel not fine, and they certainly can't understand that pain and suffering today is happening to give them a better tomorrow, or more tomorrows.

They say advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. All I can say is be sure to give Chloe and yourself the best quality of life together that you have left now, because a cat's ninth life is incredibly precious. She will tell you when she's had enough.
AnnaSC
New Cat Chatter

Post by AnnaSC »

Kay wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:55 pm
I can honestly say that although I had had him, and loved him, for 13+ years, as he came to me at 12 weeks, the shock of the initial diagnosis upset me a great deal more than his passing, as I was concentrating on doing my best for him. And that sounds very much the way you are feeling with your girl, so I am sure you will manage very well, through no doubt many tears along the way.
I can't begin to tell you how helpful your whole response was, but particularly this part. I know it will be hard when she dies, but grappling with the reality of her condition has me totally wrecked. It sounds like you followed his lead and gave him the best final days possible. Thank you for your words of validation and comfort.
Last edited by AnnaSC on Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnaSC
New Cat Chatter

Post by AnnaSC »

Mollycat wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 am I never got as far as proper diagnostics, all I know is my beautiful 14 year old boy was here one day and gone the next.

Henry stayed with my ex when I left, because with me he would have no outdoor access. I still visited regularly, most weeks for a long time, occasionally skipping visits. This particular time I hadn't seen him for 6 weeks, I went to visit and he didn't come to greet me as usual so I called him. He came down the stairs and as he crossed the room towards me he was walking on all fours but seemed to be dragging himself. He stopped short of me and went down into the loaf position. His face was swollen on one side, his tongue hanging out, and he was so thin. Ex said he had gone out as normal that morning, eaten as normal, been losing weight but seemed fine, and he hadn't seen him come in as H had gone straight upstairs. Within 10 minutes I had H at the vets, had to leave him for a proper assessment and they would ring me. I thought he had been hit by a car. When the vet rang she said it was a large mouth tumour and that although they would try if I wanted them to the surgery would be very invasive with a long recovery and they wouldn't recommend it. I went back and he was put to sleep in my arms.

I suspect I read the same as you have, about these tumours, how invasive and aggressive they are. How they have to remove so much tissue and bone, and put the cat through so much pain and trauma for very little gain. I needed to know, even if it was too late, that I had done the right thing for my 14 year old lad in his prime. I have come to the conclusion that even if he had been four years old and not 14, I probably would have made the same decision, and that a diagnosis sooner would have made no difference except to make his last weeks stressful for all concerned. Cats have no concept of the length of their life, all they know is I feel fine or I feel not fine, and they certainly can't understand that pain and suffering today is happening to give them a better tomorrow, or more tomorrows.

They say advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. All I can say is be sure to give Chloe and yourself the best quality of life together that you have left now, because a cat's ninth life is incredibly precious. She will tell you when she's had enough.
Wow...what an awful day that must have been. I'm so sorry. I feel similarly that an early diagnosis probably wouldn't change much except the length of time we have to stress, and not really be able to do much else for her medically. Thank you so much for those insights - so helpful in figuring out how to move forward.