Fast breathing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Fast breathing

Post by mr_frisky »

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions regarding one of my cats, Tango? I've noticed today that she is breathing quite fast compared to the other cats, maybe 50-60bpm, a little irregularly too. She has no other signs of ill health, and is eating, meowing, purring and running after birds (when one dares to enter the garden) in the usual way.

I phoned Vetfone and the nurse thought it might be just the temperature, after going through a series of questions re behaviour, gum colour and abdomen distension, none of which appear to be unusual. She does seem hot, and goes towards the long grass to cool down.

An internet search revealed all manner of potential horrors. The other cats don't seem to be breathing unusually.

Anyone else noticed any such symptoms in their cats, or could offer any suggestions?
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Fast breathing

Post by Jan »

This might be of some comfort, our cat, Blackie, is doing exact same thing ... seeming to breath rapid and shallow at times. Haven't noticed whether its all the time because he spends most of his days asleep in the garden undergrowth. Just like Tango, he seems normal in all other respects, eating, running after field mice etc. I'd assumed his breathing was because of the heat - it can't be too comfortable with all that fur, even with their 'summer coat'. At least he's got the sense not to sleep in the greenhouse at the moment :D
misspaws
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by misspaws »

Ziva is the same in the heat. Sometimes she breathes fast and shallow and then when she is asleep her breathing returns to normal. I had a cat who had breathing difficulties and the breathing was laboured and quite different from this and she used to wheeze at the same time. I think this is because of the heat so just keep an eye on her and if you are worried see your vet.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Thanks for the replies. She's doing everything normal, other than that, and is only 3 so not senior.

I'll keep an eye on her and may take her in for one of the 6 monthly checkups the vets keep on sending through the post.
jegpad
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jegpad »

I soak a towel in cold water, wring it out and wrap it tightly around the whole of the cat and hug them for a few minutes. One of my cats will let me massage his ears with the cool towel too. Works wonders for absorbing the heat from their coats and cooling the blood.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Good idea. She seems normal now. Must have been the heat.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

A couple of mine have been doing the same in the heat.

Daz feels the heat badly - on his first night with me it was August and he was in his crate breatheing very. very fast. I ended up sitting bathing his ears in cool water for most of the night as I couldn't put the crate anywhere cooler. (By the next day, we'd bonded so the crate became unnecessary!).
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

There's some info here on protecting pets and wildlife in hot weather:

http://www.catchat.org/hot_weather.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;