Unexpected changes in behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Unexpected changes in behaviour

Post by papa cat »

I have two cats, one was born feral and was always reluctant to be fussed and picked up for cuddles. He went missing for a few days about 3 months ago and ever since he has been a real cuddle bug and often comes looking for fuss and attention now and asks for food. Perhaps he found out when he was missing what a good life he really had with regular meals and warm places to sleep !

The second cat was I believe born into a domestic scene and was rehomed to me through CP. She is now nearly ten, and over the last couple of years has become less affectionate and slightly stand-offish. Suddenly, in the last few days, it's as if she was one year old again! Demanding lots of affection and cuddles and doing things she hasn't done for years that are almost kittenish. I have no idea though why she has reverted.

I should add that both changes are very welcome.
Last edited by papa cat on Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Unexpected changes in behaviour

Post by Mollycat »

How lovely! Long may it last.

I would imagine all of this is connected though and not a coincidence. Cat interactions can be so complex.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Ah yes, interactions !
There's something else I missed out ! She has been 'guarding' the food bowls, so much so that I started feeding them in different rooms so he coulld eat, and sometimes sitting in one of the (3) covered litter boxes for extended periods. That's all stopped (for now).

I guess that maybe he came back smelling different and she saw him as an intruder.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ah so maybe part of her big affection for you is seeing she has competition? Cats are so interesting!!
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

In the last few days when she has been super affectionate she's been spending nearly all the time in my bedroom, only venturing out to eat in the hall.

Today she disgraced herself and pee'd and poo'd on my bed !!!! I thought she had been also going out to the hall to use the litter box, clearly I was mistaken.
Judging by the quantity she's not been for about THREE DAYS !
I don't entirely understand why. Maybe she was too scared to go out of the room, maybe the boxes smell of him and she didn't want to 'go' in them, maybe she was 'scent marking' the room as if she is saying "This is my space"

So, I have cleaned out all three boxes and put out an extra box (That's four litter boxes in a small one bedroom flat !!!) and shut her out of the bedroom. I hope I can stop that habit before it develops any further.

I now have to go and completely change the bed. Fortunately I have a waterproof mattress protector, and everything else can be washed.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Not so good!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I would be tempted to get a vet check. Major changes in behaviour can indicate a physical problem, even when they may seem positive - I'm thinking of the kitten-like liveliness that often accompanies hyperthyroidism in older cats, for example.