Flea treatment - frequency

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
StaceyH13
New Cat Chatter

Flea treatment - frequency

Post by StaceyH13 »

Hi, everyone. We used Bob Martin spot on treatment for our cat 2 weeks ago & he's still got fleas, probably noticing more than before treatment when we are combing him. Has anyone re-treated their cat within 2 weeks? We've bought some Advantage spot on to use this time after reading bad reviews about Bob Martin products. Just wondering if anyone's cats have reacted badly to re-treating them before 4 weeks.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Flea treatment - frequency

Post by fjm »

I have always waited four weeks, but if it is a significant infestation I would ask your vet for advice. They will know more about possible interactions of the drugs involved.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Using Bob Martin you may as well throw your cash straight in the bin.

Agree with fjm a vet's advice would be adviseable as to what to use and how soon you can use it. What I usually do with things like that is buy the first one from the vet then look for the same product from somewhere like Put Dugs Online to get the same thing at a sensible price.
StaceyH13
New Cat Chatter

Post by StaceyH13 »

Thanks for your advice fjm & mollycat, I've got some Advantage from pet drugs online already to use. I think I'll call the vets for advice but we'll just keep up with his combing & house cleaning till its 4 weeks, I just feel for him scratching!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Is he one of those rare cats that will accept being bathed?

Also is there any way (if it's that bad) you could confine him to one part of the house while you fumigate the other, and then swap when it's safe to do so? Just trying to think of any ideas that might be worth checking out
StaceyH13
New Cat Chatter

Post by StaceyH13 »

He doesn't mind being outside in the rain tbh but not sure if he'd tolerate a bath but I might give it a go. We've been fumigating the house weekly for the past two weeks while he's been out. I've been lucky with cats b4 & none have had fleas so this is the first time we've had to do this. Grateful for the advice 🙂
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

Spot-on flea treatments work by being absorbed under the skin into the subcutaneous fat and any fleas that try to bite them are killed by the insecticide that is just under the skin.

In my experience, the minimum interval advised between spot-on treatments is one month. It is not advisable to repeat the treatment sooner or put a flea collar on. The result of either could be fatal.
If there is a serious reinfestation before that, possibly the only other option is to wash your cat.

The ideal way wash fleas off a cat is to use a flea shampoo (at the recommended dilution) and then rinse off thoroughly under a shower spray..

If that is going to be difficult, mix the shampoo in a large bowl to the dilution reccomended and apply it liberally to the cat using a face flannel or cloth and then put the cat into a half full bath tub full of warm water to rinse it off (Remember to fill the bath tub first !! Also remember to shut the Bathroom door or the cat will hurtle out of the room like a streak of greased lightning !! :lol:
Dry off the cat afterwards if it will let you

If neither of those scenarios is possible, because of a cat that is too feisty and will fight back viciously, half fill a bath tub with warm water and dilute 100 ml of washing up liquid in the half full bath ( 100ml to approx 100 litres), grab the cat and 'plunge bath' the cat into the bath. Try to get the cat fully immersed except for its head as that will cause irritation to the eyes.
Do not dry the cat off immediately as the diluted detergent will need a short time to kill the fleas. Dry the cat off after about 5 minutes if it will let you

I have used methods 2 and 3 on my cats wthout any ill effects (except an angry sulky cat !!)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I can only back up what the others have said, you have already realised that Bob Martins flea treatment is worth the money paid and you are best to wait at least a month before trying another brand. What I can add is, while you haven't mentioned it, you might want to steer clear of Frontline/Broadline, there is anecdotal evidence of some fleas becoming resistant to the active ingredient in those flea treatments.

One tip I have heard that might be worth doing for the next few weeks is to get a flea collar and cut it in half and add that to your vacuum cleaner cylinder or bag. Should any eggs survive the fumigation and end up being hoovered up the collar will kill them before they can escape or start laying eggs in hoover. In my opinion this is the only good use for a cat flea collar i have heard off.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Yes I know collars have fallen out of favour but my wee girl 30 years ago had fleas we could never shift. Our vet was American in the UK and she got hold of VetKem collars for us throughout the cat's life, she died in 2003 (the cat not the vet) and those were lethal. She wore them happily with no problems but I gather they are not licenced for sale in the UK and in the States they come with a lot of warnings. But they did keep her flea-free for 16 years with no resistance built up. She was a good collar wearer though and in the days before chips we needed a tag oh her as well. They are still on sale in the States, effective against flea and ticks for 5 months, but really nasty chemicals.

Anyway - years later Purdy needed something stronger than we could get here so a friend of mine in the US sent over a supply of these collars. Sadly poor Purdy couldn't wear them, the chemicals were too nasty for her, so to finally get around to the point they ended up working their magic in the hoover bag.
StaceyH13
New Cat Chatter

Post by StaceyH13 »

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

kindelmilee wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:45 pm In my case, I just use the same dog's shampoo for my cat.
NO you cannot do this!!

NEVER cross over dog and cat flea treatments, dog flea products contain ingredients that are toxic - potentially lethal - to cats.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Permethrin in particular, which is extremely common in dog shampoos, is toxic to cats. Even just being in contact with a dog that has been treated with it has been known to poison cats.
Colby Juarez
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Colby Juarez »

I'm giving nitenpyram to my cats. Does anybody use it? I think one of my cats has a bad reaction to it.