KITTEN AGGRESSION

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
NANCYBLUE
New Cat Chatter

KITTEN AGGRESSION

Post by NANCYBLUE »

Hello! I'm looking for some advice and kitten behaviour tips if anyone can help? My four month old oriental kitten Nancy is a very excitable and active girl but I'm worried she is starting to become aggressive with me when she's playing, especially if I have left her in the house for even a short amount of time (she is a house cat and it would not be safe to let her outside alone). I live with two other people who do also play with her but I'm the one who mostly looks after her/ she usually spends time with and she seems to have some separation anxiety when I leave her. Normally I play with her with her wand toys at least twice a day for 15 minutes. She has started getting very excited with me during play time, especially if I've been out for a couple of hours, her eyes become huge and she will launch herself at me, climb my legs, try to bite, scratch and kick at my arms (her bites don't draw blood but it's not pleasant!). If I am just at home with her all day she does not do this, it's only if I've been out or sometimes in the morning when I've been asleep. She is never alone in the house and she only gets this play aggressive with me. I'm not sure what to do when she behaves like this, usually I just leave the room and leave her alone. I am worried that she is frustrated/ will get more aggressive when I leave her (obviously I won't be able to be home with her all day every day when lockdown is over). I would get a second cat but my housemates really don't want to. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to stop this behaviour from escalating/ what to do when she is being like this? I'd really appreciate any help, thank you!
Cat_f66
New Cat Chatter

Re: KITTEN AGGRESSION

Post by Cat_f66 »

https://icatcare.org/advice/aggression-to-humans/
This link may be worth reading.

You could buy a 'Kickeroo' toy for her to wrestle so she takes out her energy in this. Also fish rod type toys are good like 'Flying frenzy' cat toy (please google) so your hands are not involved when playing.

Was your kitten from a litter or the only kitten? Sounds like has been taught bad habits maybe.

It sounds like if you don't discourage this behaviour soon, it will be more unpleasant as she gets bigger and stronger and she could become a difficult cat with behavioural problems. Have you considered a cat behaviourist?

Hope this helps.