Ear mites

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kacealaroux
New Cat Chatter

Ear mites

Post by Kacealaroux »

I noticed a weird smell on him, checked his ears, and sure enough one was loaded (not the other). So I got as much out as I could and bought some stuff from Walmart (Hartz). Well, I'm on the 7th little tube now and these things just won't die. I'm in there daily for the most part, but if I let it go 2 days they're back.
Just wondering if this cheap stuff just isn't good enough, and what I should get instead.
I've dealt with this before about 10 years ago, and the vet gave me some cream/oil/stuff to rub on the top of his head & it worked like a charm. What's that?

What should I do........ :?: :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Ear mites

Post by fjm »

I think you probably need to at least talk to your vet. In my experience prescription medicines tend to be more effective than OTC ones, here in the UK at least. Could be your cat has an infection as well as/secondary to the mites, or the mites are resistant to the drug you are using - I think he needs to see a vet if it has now been going on for some time.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

spot on treatments work much more effectively, and kill other beasties too

I don't know what is available in the US - I have used Advocate with good results in the UK, but a vet prescription is needed to buy online, or can be bought (more expensively) directly from the vet

they need sorting quickly though, as they can lead to ear infections, which would require more expensive veterinary treatment, and could do permanent damage, as well as causing the cat a lot of misery-
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I would suggest a trip to the vets would be best and getting some ear drops from them to deal with the mites, they can also provide you with some cleaning solution to help loosen all the wax and get that out.

My old girl tends to have problems with her ears and while i do use ear wipes i buy online, she still normally needs them cleaning when she has her annual check up and boosters. She has also suffered from ear mites a couple of times even though the Stronghold spot on treatment is supposed to to get rid of them, according to the vets if there is enough wax in the ear it can form a barrier that protects the mites and a direct treatment is needed. As with anything, prescription medication is normally stronger than anything you can buy over the counter.
Kacealaroux
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kacealaroux »

Kay wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:40 am I have used Advocate with good results in the UK
There are a few listings for this on ebay but they're all from Thailand for some reason.

I know taking him to vet is an option. Literally everyone knows that.

All I need is the medicine they'd prescribe. I called one when this first started & she said I need to bring him in to verify that they're indeed mites :roll:

Sounds like a $300 bill for something I can buy for $40 online.

So................ my cat has mites, and this cheap stuff from Walmart is garbage.. anyone know what the pros use?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

They'd need to see the cat to verify those are mites and decide what medicine to prescribe accordingly, if they are a half decent vet :roll:

Not sure if you realise this but lots of meds that are available cheaper on the internet are knock-offs that aren't safe or effective and those that are genuine and sold by genuine retailers often need a prescription - from a vet - for which the vet usually charges :roll:

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

:roll:
Kacealaroux
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kacealaroux »

anybody know of a good cat forum? i'm trying to figure out what the best mite medicine is :roll: there's literally no question that they're mites, so... this shouldn't be that difficult.

thanks for *everything* :mrgreen:

:shock: