Stray with a lump

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Amyc
Returning Cat Chatter

Stray with a lump

Post by Amyc »

Hi,

I've been feeding a stray for approximately 6 months. I'm 99% sure she's stray but maybe once had an owner as she's not got pregnant and therefore must've been spayed at some point.

Anyway, the last two days I've noticed a large lump on her back, kind of where her hips would be. It's completely covered in fur so I can't see anything except for the outline of the lump covered by fur. She's only just letting me stroke her these days and it seemed hard to the touch. My issue is, if I get her to the vet it could be expensive and I don't have the money to pay for anything hugely dear. My own two have cost me an absolute fortune over the past 12 months. But I don't want to see her get ill with this thing. She seems sprightly and happy enough at the moment but it is alarming.
Does anyone know if charities help with this sort of situation?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

P.S. I'm not new but completely failed to remember my last username!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Stray with a lump

Post by meriad »

If you can, then I'd recommend getting the cat to a vet, explaining when you make the appointment that you suspect the cat is a stray but that you are concerned about the lump. The vet will not only check for a microchip, but also - depending on the vet they probably won't charge for the initial quick once over / consultation. And if it turns out the cat isn't chipped and does require treatment you can discuss it with the vet how to proceed.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Or you can ring and explain to the RSPCA, they will often give you and the vet a log number so they cover the treatment.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It might be an abscess due to a whack from another cat. Grace had one and she became quite poorly with it. It needs looking at. The RSPCA or your local animal welfare centre could help.
Good luck
Amyc
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Amyc »

Hi, little update. Rang RSPCA who told me to take to vet and tell the vet to ring their vet phone to claim any costs back. Both vets I rang refused and were totally unhelpful. Eventually rspca had to come out and take it to vet who said it looked like it may already have been treated. Rspca put by paper collar on no deny turned out the cat has an owner! So all turned out well. Disappointed in my two local vets attitude. So glad the cat has a family and I don't have to worry about her. Hope they get her chipped. She still turns up at my house all the time though. Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I can't believe you actually got the RSCPA to accept the costs and then had vets still refusing to treat. They certainly wouldn't be getting my own business if I had any choice in the matter! :x Anyway, I'm glad all seems to have turned out for the best for the little girl. Thanks for taking care of her.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Hi - I'm glad it turns out this little one has an owner and has been treated but I have had a similar issue with the RSPCA and the stray I feed. He was very ill a few months ago with a an infected abscess - it coincided with a large cost I'd already had with Daphne who'd had to be sedated and a problem with Max so I really couldn't afford yet another vet bill. The RSPCA at first told me that if the vets would accept him they would cover the cost but when I rang the vet they were sceptical and rang the RSPCA themselves. It turned out that as I had been feeding him for so long they class him as having an owner and wouldn't help even though the vet was willing to treat him. Of course I couldn't leave him in that state and did end up paying myself.
Amyc
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Amyc »

Basically the vets didn't believe the RSPCA would pay for it. One kept asking for a log number but the RSPCA stopped doing that 2 years ago so they told me. The other vets said "The RSPCA are always doing this and we can't claim the costs back". Both on the phone and the inspector herself both insisted they could. Was like wading through treacle and getting nowhere. The puss still comes to me every day but no wears a collar. I am trying not to feed her!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Has the owner treated that lump?

I couldnt leave my cat like that. Does he look well fed?
Amyc
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Amyc »

Yes the owner had had it lanced. The cat does look thin to me but the rspca inspector said her weight is fine. I must just be used to my large and fluffy cats. This one is small and dainty.