Choosing a Playmate

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ErikaF
New Cat Chatter

Choosing a Playmate

Post by ErikaF »

I adopted a bonded pair of one-year-old brothers (Watson and Sherlock) a year and a half ago to be office cats. I wanted a pair so they would keep each other company when nobody was in the office. As they grew up, their "bond" got increasingly one-sided. Watson is about 1/3 smaller than Sherlock and likes to be quieter and have alone time. Sherlock is big (about 12 pounds), wants to play all the time, and would not leave Watson be. There were bloody noses and upsettedness and last week I decided Watson needed to live with me at home. Watson is much happier, but Sherlock is lonely and wants a playmate who would not feel bullied or annoyed by him. I have adopted many rescue cats over the years, but never where I felt it would be difficult to get a good match where one cat was not miserable. I know about slow introductions etc, but does anyone have advice as to what age/gender/size would be a good candidate in the first place for an active 3-year-old male cat with boundary issues? I've heard "get a young kitten to wear him out", "get a momma cat who will keep him in line", "get a cat just like him", etc.