Cat stalking other cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
LuxWarhammer
New Cat Chatter

Cat stalking other cat

Post by LuxWarhammer »

Hi

I have a problem with the two cats we have, similar to a problem I already wrote about some time ago.

They are two tabbies, both are now neutered. One is big and a bit aggressive but manageable and otherwise well behaved. The other more or less average sized, a bit thin, and usually calm and gentle. He is usually afraid of humans outside the family and escapes inside the house if a visitor comes.
The problem is with that smaller cat. He often stalks the bigger one, follows him around the house. The bigger cat gets away from him, eventually stops somewhere, and then the smaller one would just stand near him and stare at him, often with his tail flicking from side to side flat on the floor. It drives the bigger cat crazy and I feel it affects his overall quality of life. The bigger cat does not respond aggressively anymore, whereas once he would have.

We had a similar problem with that smaller cat, before he was neutered, where he would do the same, plus howl at the bigger one, whenever that last one came back from outdoors. Then the unanimous advice was to neuter the smaller cat. He is now neutered. Now he doesn't usually howl, but he would stalk the other at any given time, even if the bigger cat has been indoors for days. As I said, once the bigger cat used to fight back with a push or hit, now he sometimes growls and threatens but does nothing else.
Not long ago I tried to block the smaller cat from approaching the bigger, and he lashed out at me, leaving two deep cuts in my left hand. It was unbelievable because he is always so gentle and nothing similar happened before or since.
Also, sometimes the bigger one would start to lick the other, and he would resist it, perhaps because he's a germ freak? he licks himself constantly. Or does he not want to be friends with the other for some other reason?
I wish that they could be friends, but at least I'd want them to live and let live.
What can be done here?
How long do they stay aggressive after neutering?
Is it time to consider pills for the smaller cat? Could they help with this?

Thanks