My cat has been found after 7 months!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
claradee
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My cat has been found after 7 months!!

Post by claradee »

I have just received a call I never thought I would - the RSPCA have found my cat who went missing in January this year. He was microchipped and I am so thrilled that he is safe and as far as the RSPCA guy told me, ok. He has a flea infestation apparently and has patchy fur, but he's been taken to a local vets who will check him over and I am going to pick him up later this afternoon. My kids will be so happy - he was a much missed and very loving cat and we thought he was gone forever. He was about 5 miles from home, and I'm so grateful to the person who reported him to the RSPCA.

I'm a bit concerned as to how he's going to react to being with us again - I don't know where's he's been for these last 7 months! but any advice or tips on how to re-introduce him to family life would be very welcome. We will ovbiously be keeping him in, and I just hope he's still as lovely as he was when he went, but I guess it will take time.

:D
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My cat has been found after 7 months!!

Post by Janey »

:D Wow, that's fantastic news, I'm so glad for you, I can imagine how happy you must be.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes it may take time for him to settle back in and you are right to keep him in - for a while anyway. Try not to smother him (I just know that is going to be hard) let him come to you.
That said....
YIPPEE! I AM SOOOO PLEASED FOR YOU!!!
Hugs :D :D :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Oh my and wow!!! I am sitting here with the biggest grin on my face - I am so very happy for you and your family!

As for re-introducing him, I would probably treat him like you would any other new cat. You probably won't need to do the bonding room thing, but definitely give him a safe area where he can feel secure, make sure you keep him inside for at least 4 weeks if not longer and then - as much as it would be tempting to do - don't all totally overwhelm him when you collect him from the vet; give him space to 'find himself'.

can't wait to hear how he does when you get him home, and when he's ready - give him a fuss from me

So happy for you
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I don't have anything of value to add, but congratulations! You must be so excited. :lol:
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

Wonderful news.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Wow.........

Fantastic news!!

Keep us posted how re introductions go :D :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That's just wonderful! :D
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Thats great news! Please give him a fuss from me and Denver when you can.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

That's wonderful. So pleased for you. :D Let us all know how things go with him. ;)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

So happy for you!!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

What wonderful news! Do update us when you get him back - we would be really interested to know how quickly he integrates. I would agree very strongly to keep him in for at least 3-4 weeks - as if he was a new cat. You may find it easier to put him in a bonding room for a day or so, just to let him settle, and monitor his progress. If he seems to recognise his home and adjust very quickly (and your other cats to him) then that's great. What you don't want is to stress him out too much.

I adopted a kitten who was in rescue with an older cat (they were sharing a pen) and a month later I adopted the older cat as well. Although they had been together for some time in shelter the kitten appeared to have forgotten the older cat, but within three days they were fine together, so don't be disheartened if the initial response of the other cats isn't 'open arms'.

So pleased for you! Hoping I will be reunited with my missing boy soon - we know where he is hiding, at least within a fairly small radius; just a matter of getting the locals to agree to a trap at the moment :-(

Welcome home little man - I'm sure as he was a loving cat before his nature will not have changed and he will be a loving happy cat again. x
claradee
New Cat Chatter

Post by claradee »

Well, Olly was picked up from the vet's yesterday and I'm pleased to say he is doing really well. He has lost a lot of fur from his back legs and some tail and top of his back, but from the front he looks just as he always did. He was a bit timid yesterday, and didn't purr as he used to when I tickle him, but this morning he was back purring away when I stroked his ears!! We've given him some flea and worm treatment already, and will take him to the vets for a check over later. I am still getting used to seeing him back, but so glad we've found him. Microchipping really does work!
You can see a picture of him here
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/18shvq05w0vg ... Rjq0gdxD8a
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

What fabulous news, why anyone wouldn't get their animal microchipped is beyond me, one phone call and a much loved puss is reunited with his family. The fur loss could be because of the flea infestation, so paws crossed that clears up now he's been treated :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

What a lovely boy! I am so pleased for you.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Fabulous news. I'm also so very pleased for you. You must be absolutely elated. What a lovely boy too!!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Awesome, awesome news!! So pleased and bet your kids are so happy.