Cat yowling at night - feel like I've tried everything!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
charlinton
Returning Cat Chatter

Cat yowling at night - feel like I've tried everything!

Post by charlinton »

Hi

We adopted our 2 year old tabby cat Olive about 4 months ago. Ever since we got her she's been yowling during the night and sometimes during the day. It doesn't last that long, but it's VERY loud. The sounds are quite elongated and like they're coming from deep in her throat, as opposed to normal meows. She often drags a toy around with her when she makes this noise, but if she does it during the day and I try to play with the toy, she's not interested. I've searched through recommendations online, but nothing I've tried seems to help! So far we have:
- Taken her to the vet to check if she's healthy. She is.
- We play with her regularly throughout the day (as I work from home)
- We give her lots of affection when she wants it
- We adopted a second cat with whom she gets on really well - they play and cuddle together
- We keep our bedroom door open at night so she can sleep on the bed, but she rarely does this
- We feed her at set meal times throughout the day and make sure the last meal is right before we go to bed
- We have plenty of toys for her to play with, including some she can use without a human
- We got some feliway plugins, these are just about to run out of liquid

Is there anything else I can try? She wakes me up pretty much every night/early morning making this noise!

Thank you!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat yowling at night - feel like I've tried everything!

Post by Mollycat »

Get some ear plugs! I'm not being rude, I have a yowler too. After 7 years I usually sleep through it now. She calmed down a little bit after she was treated for hyperthyroidism but it's slowly built up again. I like to think I know cats pretty well but I've never had an explanation for this behaviour, girls and boys can do it, neutered or not, any age, with or without other cats in the house. The dog scrambles to pick up one of his own toys when she starts as if she's threatening him but she takes no notice whatever of him.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat yowling at night - feel like I've tried everything!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Charlinton my Snow Girl does this occasionally when she’s looking at or carrying a toy cat I bought at IKEA. It doesn’t last long. I’ve often thought it may be a maternal instinct calling for a mate or a litter she may have memories of. When she does this I say “Where’s you’re baby?” Silly question but Olive is speyed?