Foster cats diarrhea

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ktsmith
New Cat Chatter

Foster cats diarrhea

Post by Ktsmith »

Hi everyone I’m hoping for a bit of help. I had a previous foster cat who had diarrhea issues while at my house that we could not figure out (after vet visits and fecal tests). Once she had weened all of her babies she went to another foster home while I kept the kittens for a while longer. When she went to her new home the foster noticed that the diarrhea resolved.

I wasn’t really sure what to think of that. Fast forward a month when I got my new foster cat and after a couple of days she also developed diarrhea (she had been fine in a previous home and she’s been dewormed)

I am just wondering if anyone has any insight if this has happened to you or any ideas at all really. I have two cats of my own who have never had a problem I have a room dedicated to fosters whom I keep separate. Everything is washed down in between fosters.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Foster cats diarrhea

Post by fjm »

If the vet can find no reason I would suspect diet or stress. Do you know of any changes in food between the different placements? Stress could be more difficult to resolve - you know she is safe, comfortable, fed, etc, but she does not. A new place, new people, confinement, other cats beyond the door could all be highly stressful for any cat.
Ktsmith
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ktsmith »

Thank you so much for the response. Stress was one of my thoughts as well but she is such a playful relaxed cat but possibly that’s only when I’m in the room with her I suppose.

No changes to food I am on a well but tried switching her to distilled water which didn’t do the trick.

Do you have any suggestions as to what to try to help her feel less stressed? I really don’t want to let her out with my cats as one is a bit of a jerk and if introductions were to happen they need to be slow. Also I have a 10+ year old with FIV so until the diarrhea is clear I wouldn’t want her them to be out together.

Thank you for your help
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I would take her straight off distilled water, that's not recommended for cats at all. Use a filter on tap water by all means, but distilled water stripped of all its minerals is far from healthy. Bottled mineral water isn't especially healthy either, from a cat's point of view not all that different to boiled tap water meaning the minerals are more concentrated.