Dave The Stray Cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Dave The Stray Cat

Post by Grace56 »

I am hoping to adopt a stray cat which has been visiting my nieces garden since she moved in last March.
He has just very recently allowed us to go near him, stroke and fuss him. We have also been feeding him and allowing him into the house, but.....as it is only three weeks since Stormy was killed, one of the cats is still upset and has some problems. (Banshee) and we don't want to add to her worries.

I want to adopt Dave, but at the moment I am staying with my niece 4 days a week to look after her 2yo daughter. So I don't think its fare to cart him back to my house in Norwich, only to leave him alone for the rest of the time. I will be going back permanently very soon.

He (Dave) has been into the house, he is friendly....with us but growls at the resident cats. And though no fights have broken out, he seems to be a little intimidating. For example, this morning, Banshee and Louie were outside looking through the patio doors while Dave was sat in side glaring at them. Understandably, my niece is concerned for her cats and now doesn't want Dave in the house. But it seems so unfare to cast him out again when he's obviously been abandoned before.
So, what to do with poor Dave until I go home for good? Poor boy is so affectionate and very vocal. I am already very fond of him.

Would the CPL help, perhaps with a pen for him to sleep in until I take him. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Dave The Stray Cat

Post by Jacks »

Firstly, Grace, fantastic news that you will be adopting Dave! It sounds like he's accepted you as 'his human' already and has won your heart.

Can I just ask if he's been neutered? I have been befriending a lost boy recently and we'd got to the affectionate stage but my residents were a bit suspicious of him, and he is very assertive - then I realised that he was an intact male. They smell different to other cats. He was on the way to the vets when the carrier BROKE and he's now stray in another area and hasn't been recovered yet... But that's another story. With Dave, if he hasn't been neutered now would be the time to do it AND get him chipped to you, as soon as you can, particularly as you are moving.

How soon is your move? This will determine how feasible options of temporary care are...
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Hi, Jacks and thank you for replying. Yes...I think he has been neutered as I can't see any 'bits' under his tail and he is definitely male as I have seen his other 'bit' while he was washing. :oops: And I've never smelt cat spray.

I will be moving anytime between 3/8 months. I would love to take him sooner, but leaving him alone while I'm in Ipswich seems unfair.

I just want him to be sheltered and safe until he comes to me.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello Grace,
My husband (Dave) says you can adopt him any time! :roll: - Strange man.

Seriously, I would only echo everything 'Jacks' has said and wish you all the best
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Lol..Bobbys girl. :D
Well, I phoned the CPL today about Dave...but the only thing they could suggest was a cattery until I move back permanently to Norwich. As I cannot afford that, I am going to buy a cat kennel for Dave so he's sheltered at night.
I've seen a very good and fairly inexpensive one on Amazon with excellent reviews. But anyone with any recommendations for cat kennels, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you, everyone. :)
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Hey

Well done for what you have done, I think a kennel would be great til your able to get him back to yours once you are back home. Though I do suggest a check up once you adopt him.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Just a quick update on Dave. A very lovely neighbour has kindly donated a bed for him. And he has curled up in it all ready. ;)

And the same lady is getting him a little house to sleep in. She is owned by two cats and she's a cat lover like us. :)

He is currently curled up under a bush enjoying the dappled shade. Bless him.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Grace, I have two of these: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... oor/278229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and my cats love them, esp that top balcony. I did remove the flap on the bottom though as they didn't ever go into that bottom den whilst it was still attached.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Wow! Meriad They look amazing. And what a good price. Me thinks Dave would be happy in there.
Thank you for the recommendation. :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

personally I don't think you can beat a Mr Snugs kennel - totally weatherproof and indestructible - I've had one for 12 years and its still going strong

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... oaidb8w6_b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I've got one of those as well Kay and the only time mine ever use it, is when I threaten to give it to a charity .... funny creatures aren't they.

I think what mine like about the house thing is that the top balcony is fairly open

Grace, just be aware that I know of one or two people who have had problems with their house, in that the corner of the roof where the stairs go up broke off. It seems the roof felt hadn't been put on right and the wood underneath got wet and as it's only plywood it can't really take that. I've had mine for over a year now and it's survived the horrid winter so mine is fine. So if you do decide to buy one, when you unpack it - just check out the roof ;-)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Tosker slept in his Mr Snugs every night once he'd abandoned next door's garage, but was still to scared to come into the house

http://s275.photobucket.com/user/plasba ... a.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

What lovely neighbours!! Am glad Dave is really warming to you. In regards to kennels or beds..there is so many out there, it is hard to pick.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions re cat houses. Here is Dave enjoying the sunshine today.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Grace,
and hi Dave! He looks like he is blowing a kitty kiss. He looks quite at home, bless him.
It looks like you got the photo' posting sorted. Black cats rule (but then I would say that, wouldn't I?)
Well done!
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

The cat in my icon is my much loved Oscar who died of renal failure in 2012 aged about 7. He was a stray who found me when I was living in a shared student house. I fell in love with him immediately and when I moved to my own place, Oscar came as well. He was my dearest little friend and even now I miss him dreadfully. :(
The grief of his death was appalling and only now can I consider another fur baby....hence another stray....Dave. :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oscar certainly was a very handsome cat - he's beautiful.

And Dave is amazing as well; he's lucky to have found you
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Dave looks beautiful!!