Shelly update

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Post Reply
User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Shelly update

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Hey all

So some may remember the thread regarding Shelly's weak back legs. It turns out we are covered for specialist treatment and we have all decided thats the way to go. We had a long chat with our vets and the tests they will run are not evasive at all. I know some may not go this route but I have seen Shelly's eyes and she longs to be able to do what she once could, so maybe this route we can finally get to the route of it all and try and repair if it can be or treat it. Besides this Shelly is healthy. There is only two tests I know of that they will run, MRI and EMG if I got that right. EMG is where they test the reactions to their muscles. And that is where we think her issue lies, in the muscle.

User avatar
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm
No. of cats in household: 5
Location: Co. Fermanagh

Re: Shelly update

Post by bobbys girl » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks for letting us know. Lets hope they find out what's going on and can do something for her. When are they going to do the tests? I'll be thinking about you and Shelly.

User avatar
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3627
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 pm
No. of cats in household: 6
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Shelly update

Post by Crewella » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:42 pm

To some degree, that's the hardest bit done - it's making the decision that's so darned hard. I really hope that the vet can find a way to help her. xx

User avatar
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:23 pm
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Shelly update

Post by Lyn from Australia » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am

I can't remember how old Shelly is, but if that is her in your avatar she looks far too young not to try to get to the bottom of what ails her and hopefully improve the situation. I will look forward to hearing of her progress.

User avatar
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 1050
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by HRHFluffy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 am

If the tests aren't invasive and won't stress her then they are certainly worth doing to get to the root of all this and give her a better quality of life. As has been said the decision making can be the hardest part. Well done. Keep us updated. Fusses to your lovely girl.

User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by Diana » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:41 pm

That's my other cat in the picture, Evie. Shelly is nine years old, or there abouts.

The referral has to come through first which should be within the month. The vet over seeing Shelly is off until next week so we have a appt booked to discuss which is the best specialist to go to. It was a tough choice but once we were told that the tests are not evasive, it was a no brainer. She will be under during them so she will wake up none the wiser. All the vets at Acorn, where I go seemed stumped on her condition though the obvious cause is muscle weakness, which is some sort of nerve damage.

In herself, Shelly is well and seems happy apart from not being able to do as much as she did before. We call her the crab atm as she seems to be walking sideways at times. She has been on metacam but that has done nothing, no change...but we are using it just in case there is inflammation. I will try and get a picture up soon, though the site has changed so any advice on how to do so would be grateful.

User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by Diana » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey

So latest news is that after being told we were good to go sadly we cant due to finance reasons. Although we can get it paid direct, we would have to pay the 1st 20% and with the bill possibly going into the thousands we could end up paying £600-1000 and sadly its something we couldnt do. I had forgotton all about that 20%.

In a way I am glad because we would have perhaps needed to do a few trips carting her around bless her and being in a new place may freak her out. But I am devestated cause we wont know the cause and how to possibly treat or help. So now we go back to our vets and see whats best to do

User avatar
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3627
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 pm
No. of cats in household: 6
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Shelly update

Post by Crewella » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:39 pm

That's a tough position to be in, I'm so sorry - I do hope your vet can come up with something.

User avatar
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm
No. of cats in household: 5
Location: Co. Fermanagh

Re: Shelly update

Post by bobbys girl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 am

Sorry to hear that Diana. I hope the vets has some more positive answers/suggestions. Let us know how you go on.
Hugs and fusses to Shelly

User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:12 am

It is a very hard spot to be in. We were all set to finally understand what was wrong and being able to help better it, on that note I am devestated for her and hate that I cant do it. Had it been £400-500 then yes but over 600, possibly going near the thousand mark its just something I cant do. We could go and set a limit but then should they stick to that and not find anything so would need more tests....we would have put Shelly through that only not to know. The only reason I cant do it is cause my parents sadly are divorcing so me, mum and brother are saving to buy my dad out of the house. Yes I would rather spend it on her but should we not be able to buy him out we would sell and have to move, thus moving my cats too and I dont want to do that to them. So guted and annnoyed, hope many understand my position.

If she stays as she is then we can manage and so can she, should it get worse then we will deal with it should it come. I brougt some stairs for her to climb up on and adjusted things to make it easier. Back to vets to try some meds.

User avatar
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm
No. of cats in household: 5
Location: Co. Fermanagh

Re: Shelly update

Post by bobbys girl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:51 am

I'm so sorry to hear that. I really wish there was something I could do to help. I just hope that, for all of you, your problems are resolved - soon
very best wishes

User avatar
RockRollDie
Frequent Cat Chatter
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:39 am
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Colchester

Re: Shelly update

Post by RockRollDie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Diana,

hopefully this isn't against house rules, but there is a website called 'GoFundMe' where people in situations like yours can try and raise the extra money to cover expenses. People go on there for everything from Holidays and Weddings to Illness and tragedies. No one likes asking for a hand out but there are 1000's of people who visit the website who want to help out people and animals alike.

Maybe worth a look into?

[EDIT] I know that you cant ask for money / advertise charities ON this page but hopefully its ok to suggest doing this else where?

User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm

I can try that site, thanks.

Had it not been for parents situation then it wouldnt be an issue at all. I work f/t from home but these days it just isnt enough. Money has never been an issue for my cats and I will always do what I can for them but sadly today I cant push it that far. I did chat with the specialist we would have seen and he is sure its just muscle weakness and we cant do much to repair it only use meds to help. He thinks that plus another specialist as does my vets. Maybe in a months time we can go to them. An MRI would only confirm that. So we are almost certain its that and if meds help then we know. Doubt it could be tumor or cancer as she has weakness in that back legs since Jan 2011 only now its got worse. Had it been that it would have developed much more and there would have been signs.


What would you do should it be almost certain that its muscle weakness? Would you do all these tests just to confirm. I still have not cancelled the booking we have with Davies Veternairy Specialist as I cant do it...I am just wondering if I should do it. The money is there....just that I cant save that bit to give dad should we take Shelly.

User avatar
RockRollDie
Frequent Cat Chatter
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:39 am
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Colchester

Re: Shelly update

Post by RockRollDie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Although I don't have much previous with cats my parents have always had cats and I've had dogs. When it comes down to tests and stuff personally I always go the full whack, even if it does mean living off beans on toast for a while.

That's due to a particular experience where 2 separate vets told us a lump on my pups leg was just fatty tissue and not to worry and that they could do more tests but it was a waste of time and money ... a month or so later when it was bigger we took him to a third vet who imminently confirmed our fear that it was in fact cancer and unfortunately the poor boy lost his leg as it was starting to spread. If we had taken the tests earlier its possible (not definite) that he could have saved the leg.

I know its hard to second guess a vet / specialist but just from that I think going forward I will always take the full tests, just in case.

I'm not suggesting your little one has cancer or tumor as you say its been on going for a long time, but you never know they might find out exactly what it is if they do the test and it MAY be fixable.

(sorry don't want to put the frightners on you, just sharing my experience) xxx

User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 pm

I am with you on that...yes you are right!!!! I have always not worried for costs when it comes to my cats...never did I think for one second that ' Oh gosh it will be a high bill'. Luckily though we have always had insurance and never spent more than £500 at our vets.

But simply due to the position I am in...it's different. As I said...the money is there, not a question of that at all, however as we are currently under-going buying my father out of the house so we can stay and so that my cats can stay rather then move somewhere new, things have not got difficult in the sense that we struggle but difficult in the sense that we need to raise the money to buy him out. My dad is patient and will wait forever but as he still lives here at the house, he needs it quick so he can move, saying all that....an extra month won't kill him at all and my main priority is getting my girl sorted. We have all had a chat and my dad is willing to wait an extra month so we can take Shelly. The apt was made this week and yesterday when we decided we couldn't do it...I could never bring myself to cancel the apt and I am glad I didn't. We are back on track and ARE going to the specialist.

User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Scrap that....just had a word with the specialist, turns out that they don't routinely do 'direct claims' and only deal with the pets owners. I can't understand why...I asked why and they said that the financial department don't deal with the insurance direct. They went on to explain that in the last 12 months...they have only dealt with the insurance direct once. So I asked if we could pay in instalments and again I was met with a no. I explained the whole situation and the lady expressed her deepest regret. By this time I was fuming cause we got all happy that we could do it then sad that we couldn't, then happy again as we decided to do it and now mad again. The first time round they said they should be able to do direct, so I asked them to explain why it went from that to this and the ladies response was that for legal reasons they cannot say they can't/can do direct without consulting the finance dept. She also mentioned that she didn't say they could but it was a possibility. I just don't understand this...by this time I just couldn't be asked to argue and finished the call with thanks, but no thanks as now were are going to be none the wiser in the way of understanding what is wrong with our Shelly.

The apt was with Davies Veterinary Specialist and on their site it explains they don't routinely deal with direct payments. Most people couldn't afford to fork out £1800-5000 on the spot so why make it hard for us. I did explain that I was not happy with this. I then got back onto the phone with my vets and they were shocked and appalled. I asked if there was another and she said yes however it was over an hour away, something like 90mins. I couldn't keep travelling there and back and put my Shelly through that. So after all this....we are back with our vets and our vets only. If this is as bad as Shelly will get, then ok...yes she may have troubles getting around but she is still happy, still eating, still popping and always meowing. Maybe the meds we will try will help.

What a few hours...gone through all the emotions.

User avatar
RockRollDie
Frequent Cat Chatter
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:39 am
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Colchester

Re: Shelly update

Post by RockRollDie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:40 pm

That's awful, sometime I wonder why we bother with Insurance for anything. Although that does remind me I need to invest in my new little friend.

I would still take a look at the website I suggested, it doesn't have to be a "money for nothing" deal if you don't want to ask for hand outs, you can always offer something in return. Pics of the cats, postcard, something silly like that. x

User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:45 pm

I tried that site, but as I don't have facebook or Twitter, it will be near impossible to get the word out.

Just a thought...was re-searching...diabetes may affect hind legs...I wonder if she may have that? And yes....sometimes insurance are a god send, but other's you would think why! Here is the link I was reading in terms of Diabetes. http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/legs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:23 pm
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Shelly update

Post by Lyn from Australia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 pm

Just a note to say I've been following this thread, and I just had to butt in to express my disappointment at the vets in relation to finances? Surely if someone offers to pay off an account in installments it indicates their commitment to their pet and therefore to any debts they accumulate? Surely being paid in installments is better than not having that income at all? **** the greedy sods!!

NB: The **** word wasn't all that bad!! :)

User avatar
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm
No. of cats in household: 3
Location: Bedford, UK

Re: Shelly update

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm

I agree! My vets would accept that however the specialist wont. Its annoying!!! I spoke to the finance dept and they explained the complications to them should we do installments. But because they dont routinely deal with insurances they explained I would have to pay upfront, thus elliminating the process of installments. My friend said that we just have to focus on Shelly and what our vet thinks in going forward. There are meds tht help with muscle weakness so we can try them. I cant dwell on the fact we cant go, just gotta put it out of my mind and proceed with vet advice. We have to go back to our vets for them to re-asses her and decide our next route.

Eliz+Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:21 am
No. of cats in household: 6
Location: Cobham, Surrey
Contact:

Re: Shelly update

Post by Eliz+Cats » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi,

Diabetes can certainly lead to back leg weakness (as someone suggested above), but I'm guessing blood tests have ruled out diabetes?
Potassium deficiency can also cause it. But I'm guessing that's been ruled out too?
Arthritis also?

If you think it's some kind of nerve damage then you may find methyl B12 helpful (methylcobalamin). There's a lot of anecdotal evidence about it's ability to assist with healing from nerve damage. Quite a few of us with cats suffering from diabetic neuropathy (also caused by nerve damage) have found it to be beneficial. It can take a while to see results, but I was lucky; my cat recovered really fast from his neuropathy.
You'd need to find a form of it that doesn't contain any nasties for cats (no Xylitol etc). There is actually a form of it that you can buy online from the US called Zobaline that's made expecially for cats! That's the form that I used for my kitty. Just crumbled it into his food and he ate it with no problem (though it did turn his food pink!).

Sincerely hoping your kitty feels better soon.

Post Reply