OCD in cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Stace0618
New Cat Chatter

OCD in cats

Post by Stace0618 »

Hi everyone!
Sorry, this is going to be a long post.
So my cat Meeka who is 4 going on 5 has basically got skin issues as has done since the age of 2. I’ve been through so much with her and it feels never ending. When i say skin issues I mean severe. It started off to be what looked like chin achne to then scratching her ear at the back all the way down her back to her tail. She has been diagnosed with OCD as everything else has been eliminated from worms fleas environment and food. She licks herself to the point of creating wounds. From December it’s gotten worse to the point where you can see muscle etc. She’s been on numerous different steroids from prednisolone to apitopia to dexamethasone which she is currently on. My vet won’t treat her for her OCD as he feels her problem is off the scales. I’ve tried absolutely everything to temporarily rehoming her to rehoming my other three and her with me changed to more of a cat friendly house for boredom etc. Nothing has worked or changed this behaviour problem. Fast forward to now. Managed to get the poor thing to stop licking ( for how long I’m unsure) as I have put a shirt on her a head lamp and because she’s now going for her legs some leg warmers. Literally everything I can think of apart from bubble wrapping her. Her wounds are healing slowly great and my vet was impressed as he suggested to have her put down ( I couldn’t bring myself to do this because of her age and the fact nothing is wrong apart from her skin). So just over 2 weeks ago I take her to the vet as she was limping. I left it four days thinking she’s prolly just slept funny. Vet thinks she may have over stretched a ligament. It went from limp to not using it to now back to limping. Whilst she was at the vet he had given her depo medrone injection which has helped last time. Obviously dexamethosone was temp stopped as it wasn’t needed. Shockingly, I’ve forgotten about this steroid for the past 12 days :roll:

She’s been trembling a bit which made me think is it a withdrawal of not having her steroid. What do you guys think? I’ve given her a dose tonight hoping it will help.

Anyone know how long it takes for an overstretched ligament to heal?

Has anyone gone through this OCD thing with their cat before?

I’m just out of my mind with worry. She’s young, practically my child and I feel like I’m drowning.

Sorry for the rambling.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: OCD in cats

Post by booktigger »

You need to ring your vet tomorrow to discuss the missing steroids as suddenly stopping can cause issues