cat accepted my kitten but then turned on her - please help!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kashi
New Cat Chatter

cat accepted my kitten but then turned on her - please help!

Post by kashi »

I have a 5 year old male bengal who is an indoor cat and always lived alone with me. I recently got a new female savannah kitten after researching that they would be compatible breeds as are generally more active and playful

When I first introduced them gradually, there was some hissing and swiping as expected but within a week they seemed to settle and get along and were happily playing

A few weeks later I then had to take my kitten to the vets to be spayed. She was only out of the house for a day but since I bought her back, my cats attitude towards her seemed to completely change. He was excessively hissing and growling at her! (She was fine with him) I thought at first it may be the smell or something so I separated them for a few days and re-introduced them gradually however it has now been 2 more weeks (6 weeks since original introduction) and there has been no improvement :( my cat has now also started resenting me. He makes a sort of whimpering whiney sound if I go near him and hides under the bed which is not like him at all. I try to separate them and give equal attention but the other one then gets jealous and scratches / cries at the door

I’m not sure why he seemed to accept her well at first and they seemed happy together, now he is attacking her to the point I have to shout and spray water bottles at them to break them apart!!! Whenever they are together they constantly fight very aggressively. I would really appreciate some information and advice or if anyone knows a reason why this is happening from experience? It’s very distressing for me and both of the kitties and when searching online I have tried everything - even the strongest feliway optimum diffusers throughout the house but not working. Will they ever get along? Could it be because they are wild breeds? Or is this normal? Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat accepted my kitten but then turned on her - please help!

Post by Mollycat »

First, stop shouting and spraying water bottles, unfortunately those will do more harm than good. I don't blanket ban water sprays as most people do now, I believe they have their place but in extremely limited situations where there is immediate danger to the cat's life or the entire house burning down, certainly not for natural behaviours like being unhappy about another cat in their territory.

Turning against the other cat after a vet visit can and does happen to lifelong companions so be reassured this isn't a sign that you have done anything wrong. Introductions are normally recommended to take months rather than days so you were very successful, the problem when returning from the vets was probably no other reason than the sudden return with a funny smell. Probably best to go back to separating them completely and starting again as if they were new to each other. For future vet visits at least you know and can prepare in advance, my choice is Zylkene food supplement and Pet Remedy diffuser and sprays. Those can't replace careful management though. But do separate them completely immediately, as once fights get physical you have an extra dimension of problem to solve.