Cat bullying older cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kitster
New Cat Chatter

Cat bullying older cat

Post by Kitster »

Hi all, I'm new here but not new to cats!
But I've come across a problem that I haven't any luck solving! :(

My household has 3 (2 siblings, age 1.5 and one male, aged 10, all neutered) cats and 2 dogs and one cat is a massive bully. I've managed to stop him from bullying his sister, but not the much older cat.

My biggest problem is he actively guards the catflap and often chases the older cat away which means I barely get to see the older cat.

For context, he actively patrols the garden and if I let the dogs out, he'll sit in the doorway preventing them from coming back in (as they're now both scared of him). He does this indoors as well so I have to accompany dogs through doorways if I want them to go anywhere.

I can work with the dog thing but I definitely need him to leave the catflap alone as the older cat has limited years, I don't want to stress him out too much and sometimes he disappears for days at a time now and I worry one day he may never come home at all :(

I really don't want to consider rehoming the boisterous and incredibly playful youngster so I'm hoping someone out there has some advice to restore harmony!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat bullying older cat

Post by fjm »

Is there any way you can create a second entrance/exit? Another cat flap, or a small, accessible window left open? If it were possible to create a safe zone for the older cat at the same time, where he could be sure of being able to eat, sleep and use a tray in peace, that would be even better.