Kitten's Behavior

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
LittleAura
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Kitten's Behavior

Post by LittleAura »

Hi! I'm searching for advice on how to handle a kitten's behavior appropriately. My furbaby, Aura, is about 15 weeks old now. I got him when he was about nine months old. I live alone in a studio apartment, and this is the first time I've ever been alone and caring for a pet. My aunt works at a vet's office, so he has begun his vaccinations and his medical report was great. He's cuddly and loving when he wants to be, and he's incredibly fun to play with when he gets excited. He eats on a proper schedule, has a ridiculous amount of toys, and is treated very lovingly.

However, more often than not, he will attack me in any way possible. He'll scratch and bite my feet when I'm at the computer or on the couch or even walking, and he'll crawl on my thighs/back/shoulder whenever I'm sitting anywhere. I understand that that's what kittens do, and I expected it, but the scars I'm getting and the amount that I bleed is genuinely concerning me. He isn't afraid of water, so the spray bottle idea did not work. I've stopped playing with him the moment he gets aggressive, but it only makes him mad and he attacks me still. It breaks my heart because it hurts so badly. There have been times where I would sit in a pool of blood, lightheaded, because of how hard I've been scratched.

When I was younger, I had to undergo surgery for Cat Scratch Fever, which I contracted when I was little when a cat scratched me and my lymph node under my left arm had to be removed. My mom is concerned it could happen again, though I don't think it will.

Any advice would be great. I hate that in the moment I yell at him. It breaks my heart because I want to love him and be there for him, but it makes it hard when I'm so nervous just to walk in my own apartment. :cry: