wont go in shelter after another cats visit

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kennycapes
New Cat Chatter

wont go in shelter after another cats visit

Post by kennycapes »

Hi all, really hope you can help.

We have had a little cat shelter in the garden for about a year, when it rains, gets cold etc. out lovley cat goes in there for shelter.

the other day we woke up and saw another cat in there sheltering.

Now ours wont go back in.

I have changed the blanket etc but haven't "cleaned" it yet.

I can only find Urine cleaners and im not sure im looking for that.

Any advice on how to "clean" the shelter to try and remove scent from the other cat.

Many thanks
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: wont go in shelter after another cats visit

Post by fjm »

Urine cleaner, or even biological, enzymatic washing powder would help to remove scent marks, but it is possible that your cat has seen the interloper and is wary of the shelter for that reason. I would try a second refuge, with two well spaced exits, so there is no chance of your cat getting trapped if the stranger guards one of them.
Last edited by fjm on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: wont go in shelter after another cats visit

Post by Kay »

I'd go down this route too - I have a cat flap in the shed for my outdoor cat, and have put two Mr Snugs inside in case one gets occupied by another cat - I like the idea of being able to offer a refuge for a needy cat in winter

it also helps to have two kennels because however dry you try to keep it, if a wet cat goes in the bedding will get wet and take a long time to dry out