Spayed Over Active Kitty

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Paris143
New Cat Chatter

Spayed Over Active Kitty

Post by Paris143 »

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE😥😥I AM SO WORRIED

My 6 month old girl Paris got spayed and chipped today. We got her home at 330 pm and I am so worried. She is a crazy active little girl. And as soon as we got in the door she started jumping around. She leaped from the floor about 6 feet up on to a shelf. Which is a huge jump. So i took her in my bedroom hoping maybe there was not tons of temptations in my room. Maybe it would keep her from bouncing around. I was wrong! First thing she did was leap up on to the window pain. Then she started immediately going for her incision. My daughter and I tried to get the cone on her but then she really flipped. Shes only been home from surgery for maybe 30 mins at this point. She is going to hurt herself if she hasn't already. As I am starting to relize the cone is causing her to fight and squirm. I then head to the pharmacy to grab bandages. My next attempt I tried was a cotton non stick gauze wrap. Topped with flexible nonstick ace wrap over that. Well she has slipped out of those wraps many times. Mind you she is supposed to be resting but its been a constant battle for her. So finally i took a clean tube sock and made a kittly onesie sweater for her. As of this minute at 2:15 am the sweater is working. And her will power and fight has turned into exhaustion. She has finally stopped fighting everything. I am so scared she is going to hurt herself. I am 100% regretting taking her to get this surgery. I just feel so bad for my girl. And I am so worried! I am now worried the sweater is irritating her incision. I am just so worried. I don't know what to do. My poor baby just fought and struggled herself to complete exhaustion. After having a major surgery. You can definitely tell shes uncomfortable. Any suggestions? Im preying she has not already hurt herself with all the incidents we have already had in the first 8 hours of being home. I wish the vet would of kept her just a couple of days. I don't know how to keep her safe right now. And all the struggling and squirming and jumping and cone attempts. And the bandage wraps to onsies!! I mean im in tears. This is awful. I was not prepared for this to be so difficult and stressful and so worrisome. We just love this little girl so much. I wish I never had her spayed! I do know it was the right thing to do for her. But i was never prepared to see her so miserable. What can I do to keep her calm. And safe! At least for the next couple of days. She needs a kitty sedative!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Spayed Over Active Kitty

Post by Mollycat »

Calm down, she will be just fine.

Did she have keyhole surgery, or a 2-3 inch scar on the flank or on her belly? With keyhole surgery there is obviously much less to worry about. With a full size cut, a cat's skin is very loose so pulling stitches from stretching it is very unlikely - not impossible but very unlikely. My aunt was a vet and she always used to say there is often no need to stitch a cat but owners don't like it if we don't.

The bigger worry is if she is licking the would or pulling at the stitches themselves with her teeth. That is something that does have to be stopped, so if she was trying to do that then the sock sweater is brilliant. Don't worry it might annoy her a little bit but it's for her own good and won't be damaging the stitches themselves. She might still be able to get out of it overnight mind you, cats are expert wrigglers!

If you speak to the vet they may be able to give you a very mild sedative for her. You might also be able to get a secure crate to stop her jumping and running around, most pet shops will have something usually sold as a dog travel crate or night crate. Cats can still climb the bars so watch the design but you should be able to get one immediately if you feel it's needed.

But all this anxiety from you is not helping her at all. Little love has just been through surgery which animals mostly take in their stride unlike us, she wants to go play now she's home, and you are panicking every time she does something she feels she can do perfectly well, then grab her and try to put some other awful thing on her (her point of view!) so that will make her much worse. When I say they take surgery in their stride - I have a 10 year old dog, we got him home from having a slice taken out of the bone in his leg and a metal plate put in, he slept for 12 hours straight then jumped up on the sofa the second I turned my back. He is supposed to be on 3 months rest, it's week 3 and he's going stir crazy trying to run any half chance he gets. On what is technically a broken leg.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

As Mollycat says, animals don't know they are meant to feel lousy, plus your cat will have still been spaced out from the anaesthetic and the pain killers given during surgery. A little discomfort after a major op is not a bad thing to slow them down a little, but I admit to having spent the hours after mine come back from the vet either worrying that they are sleeping too much and are slow to recover, or worrying that flinging themselves around the room will do further damage! Buy or borrow a dog crate if you can, or cat proof a room as far as you can, accept that she is likely to ba a bit uncomfortable for a few days, provide lots of company, cuddles when she wants them, and special food f it makes both of you feel better, and phone your vet if you have any concerns. And breath. If you get panicky so will she; if you stay calm and matter of fact it will help her to relax.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I fostered cats for 14 years so had over a hundred cats neutered, and I can count the amount of issues post surgery on one hand, my first foster cat jumped 6 foot high straight after surgery - like you, I removed things, but she jumped on the wardrobe instead. I had a similar experience to Mollycat, Lucy had part of her hip joint removed, she was kept in one room to stop her jumping, but 5 days after surgery she figured out she could jump on the table top freezer that sits on the floor, then 4-5 weeks post surgery I turned my back for a second and she went under the bed (she has to flatten herself and drag herself to get under), I was distraught thinking that she'd damaged something, but she was perfectly fine. I know it's the equivalent of a hysterectomy in us, but feral cats get released 24-48 hours after surgery and cope. Please don't let this put you off neutering any future cats