cat litter issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

cat litter issues

Post by Sandra b »

Hi, I’ve been using World’s Best cat litter for a few years now for my 18yo boy Murphy. I use it as it’s soft, dust free, biodegradable and he likes it. I’ve had no issues at all up until a couple of months ago when he started getting wet after using his box. He has arthritis and I think he maybe sitting too low and getting wet litter and pee on him. Was wondering if anyone has had problems like this or if anyone can recommend another litter as there’s so many on the market. Thanks.
FeralMama
New Cat Chatter

Re: cat litter issues

Post by FeralMama »

Hi there from the US. I have not had this particular issue before, but I'm assuming he is on a arthritis supplement? If not, that may help him with his standing and using the litter box? Have you tried the litter crystals or Yesterdays News? Though if you switch, I would recommend taking it slow and gradually mix the two litters. Also, there are always puppy pee pads in place of litter if it gets too much. Good luck!

Tammy
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

All I can say is don't use a clumping clay type. If that gets on the back of his legs wet it sets like concrete. Might be better to find a way to help him stand better rather than change litter. We have only ever used clay types, clumping or non clumping, as the only time I tried something different no matter how slowly I tried to introduce it one cat refused point blank to use the tray once it got more than around a third not clay.

Just to add - this is from experience with a messy Ragdoll - I'll leave it at that.
Last edited by Mollycat on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I will say that the corn based clumping litters don't seem to set quite so hard as the clay based one I used to use did, the clumps are a lot more friable, so there is a chance that they could be brushed off the legs if he does end up with it stuck to his fur.
I would also suggest it might be worth trying one of the none clumping ones, something that the liquid can soak through quickly, I know the crystal ones are meant to absorb any liquid but when I have been looking after a friend's cat and he uses that that type of litter for her it doesn't seem to absorb that much and there often seems to end up with liquid in the bottom of the tray. Messier to clean up, but it might help Murphy stay dray.
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Sandra b »

Thanks for the replies First of all my Murphy is on cosequin (for years) and metacam for the last 6 months, he is doing really well and his pain is managed (he still manages to run around playing). I have never fancied the clay litter and find the corn based one I’m using is probably now too fine for him and the moisture is sitting on the top and then the wet litter is sticking to him as he’s sitting lower. I think I will try the crystals and see how he goes with them.