Cat licked incision after surgery

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mochalatte3
New Cat Chatter

Cat licked incision after surgery

Post by mochalatte3 »

Hi, my cat had stomach surgery 4 days ago and was wearing a recovery suit, but unfortunately, the suit came off and I'm concerned she was able to lick the incision. It was only off for 30 minutes at most but I am concerned because the fur on her stomach is wet indicating she was licking. The incision looks okay - I sent photos to my vet and they said it looked fine - but I'm very worried that it will become infected now. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience - if your pet licked at the incision very briefly and just once, did it end up okay? Is she likely to develop an infection?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat licked incision after surgery

Post by Mollycat »

I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong but I thought it was only in case they pulled at the stitches and damaged themselves.
mochalatte3
New Cat Chatter

Post by mochalatte3 »

Mollycat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:58 am I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong but I thought it was only in case they pulled at the stitches and damaged themselves.
That's what I thought too but apparently the bacteria in their tounges can cause infection. My cat actually has no teeth, so pulling out the incision wouldn't even be possible for her, but the vet said she still must wear the collar because the tounges can cause damage.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Yes I know they say about saliva causing infection, I just had the same talk from our vet about the dog. I'm not sure I buy it. I don't think evolution would have kept animals licking wounds for all these milennia if it didn't give them a better chance than not licking them. But a cat's tongue is so rough I do see the logic there.

But anyway I can't see one sneaky lick generating an infection, especially if your vet says not to worry.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I know the human mouth is full of bacteria (my Father was a Dentist, I picked up bits and pieces), but 99.9% won't cause any harm, the rest is what leads to gum disease, I would imagine the cat is similar. The body however, is so used to those bacteria that are always there that it deals with any infection they might cause quickly and easily.
Yes there is a very tiny chance that your cat licking the wound might cause an infection, but to be honest I would have thought they were just as likely to pick up an infection in the wound from anything else they might come in contact with, i very much doubt any protection they have been given to wear is bacteria proof. in my limited knowledge I would advice just keeping a close eye on the wound and if there is any increase in swelling and heat in the wound area then contact your vet. Even if the wound does get infected,if an infection is picked up quickly, they are treated easily, i would imagine the vet has already given them some antibiotics to help fight any infection at the wound location.
A cats tongue is extremely rough, designed to shred meat off bone, so I can see one doing some damage to the stitches if allowed to carry one licking when ever they want.

Hopefully she will soon make a full recovery and give you no other worries in the mean time.