Adopted a cat. Almost regretting. Meows all night. (Literally)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
weirdCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Adopted a cat. Almost regretting. Meows all night. (Literally)

Post by weirdCat »

It’s less than a week (I know, it’s early), but since adopting this very shy cat, I already feel tired.

She’s castrated, and around 7 months.
Previously in the shelter with other cats.
Also probable she spend a good amount on the street before-that.
Now in my apartment, sole.
1st night didn’t make any sound. Just stayed in the corner.
2nd night onwards, from 7pm more or less to 7am, won’t stop meowing.
It’s only at night. And every a couple of minutes for a long time.
During the day, she’s almost at sleeping mode.
(So trying to change that, by feeding morning and afternoon. Not sure if ok, and actually what program she had before)
Thing is, she’s still scared. Although now walking and jumping around and less time hiding. But we can’t touch her or pet her. She runs away.

The problem though is with the meowing.
She was 2 types. 1 normal and 1 more... wining.
Shouldn’t be sick. Shouldn’t be the food.
Shouldn’t be that’s she is inside the house (cause she would do the same during the day).

So I guess she feels lonely and bored?
But we can’t play with her or touch, or comfort.

Anyone has any ideas?
I would really appreciate any comments.
I am already tired. Nothing positive so far with this cat (sorry to say) :(
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopted a cat. Almost regretting. Meows all night. (Literally)

Post by Mollycat »

It sounds like maybe a bit more research before adopting could have prepared you better. Staying in the corner all the first night for example is very normal for a new cat.

Cats are most active at dusk and dawn and unfortunately in the human world the night is often not dark enough, meaning cats can still be active through the night. It's their natural body clock and you can't change it just by feeding them at more convenient times. I know it feels like all night but honestly it isn't. What do you do, do you yell or call out to her, do you ignore her?

A week is very early, some cats are more trusting but my shy cat wouldn't let me touch her for more than 6 months. To build the trust, stop trying to touch her, let her be and let her come to you when she is ready. That does not mean you can stroke her any time you like from the moment she first comes up to sniff you, it's a long process and for cats it can be very very very long. The most important thing for a shy cat to learn is that you will leave her alone when she wants to be left alone.

If she is only 7 months old was she born at the shelter or been there all her kitten life? If so this might be the first time she is alone with no other cat around to smell or hear. That can be very upsetting. Once she trusts you more, she may draw comfort from you and settle with you as company, but at 7 months rather than 3 this is going to take plenty of love and patience. At 2-3 months it's easy, you step into their mum's role, but at 7 months they would be growing more independent naturally. But not so much as not to feel lonely. Do you have her in your bedroom at night?
weirdCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by weirdCat »

Thanks for the reply.
I’ve been looking to adopt for more than a year, but delayed because of a move and Covid.
Regarding the research, I did.
Even my mum has a cat, and some friends as well. Nobody had this experience.
Tonight I couldn’t sleep. Meowing every 2-5’.

Not sure of her background.
The shelter mentioned they found her on the street as a kitten. But they mentioned she was nice but timid.
That is ok for me. I can wait.
But the sleep part makes it quite difficult.
But now, at 9am, no meowing. Nothing...

I leave her around the house to do whatever she wants. Move etc. Not sure if keeping her in a refined place would be good. Think will try a bit of everything.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

she's a teenager in human terms, and teenagers aren't known for going to bed early and never making their presence felt

and being a cat her instinct is to hunt during the hours of darkness rather than sleep

you are tuned in to her meouwing now, and it will get to you when others might not notice so much - so perhaps trying earplugs might help - and leave her with hunting type toys when you go to bed - she might make a bit of noise playing with them, but cats don't usually meouw when hunting, for obvious reasons

a cuddly toy in a cat bed might help too, if she is wanting company

this will pass and you will look back at your first post and marvel at the changes in your relationship with her - sit out this difficult time and you will get your reward
weirdCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by weirdCat »

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah. I hope.

I can be ok with her talking time to come towards me. But that + the meowing (every 2-5 minutes for HOURS). It’s a bit too much.

Let’s see
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I second the ear plugs suggestion. In time you will be able to sleep through non-urgent crying, but at the moment sleep deprivation is not going to do either of you any good.
weirdCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by weirdCat »

By the way, used the ear plugs yesterday. Didn’t help much. (I am a light sleeper).
Let’s see.
For the moment I put on tv birds and other animals and she’s active at them
(Previous days she was sleepy during this time).

Hopefully that will tire her a bit and be more sleepy later
weirdCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by weirdCat »

Update: it’s like a got a new cat.
After 10 or so days, the cat changed COMPLETELY.
I know many of you might say ‘dah’.
But it’s day and night!
No crying at night. And now sits on the sofa with us.
No steady, slow adjustment. But rapid!

My weird cat!