Yucalm or Zylkene?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ChonairJazz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Yucalm or Zylkene?

Post by ChonairJazz »

I posted a while ago about our previously free roaming male cat who we are trying to transition to indoor only. Another cat was hit and killed last week at the top of our road only about 100 yards or so from our house. That's the second one around here in a few weeks. We were doing OK with him but now he's becoming frustrated again.

We have had a little success with Feliway. It may be coincidence but big flare ups in his behaviour do seem to coincide with it running out both times. We also noticed Beaphar calming spot on seemed to help somewhat too he's a bit calmer for about four to five days after that.

In Petsat Home the other day I asked the assistant for advice. She suggested using Pet Remedy plug in. I've read that some people have more success with it than with Feliway. Is it worth it?

She also suggested YuCalm or Zylkene, and said they both had good reviews. Im not familiar with these. Are they available without a prescription? Has anyone had any luck with either of these? Which would you say is better?

Thanks
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Yucalm or Zylkene?

Post by Mollycat »

Pet Remedy seemed to do something for mine where Feliway had failed, but it's no miracle cure. We've also used Zylkene, same comment really, it might do a bit to take the edge off nerves but not much more. What has made a difference to the extremely shy Molly is Reiki.
ChonairJazz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ChonairJazz »

Mollycat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:30 pm Pet Remedy seemed to do something for mine where Feliway had failed, but it's no miracle cure. We've also used Zylkene, same comment really, it might do a bit to take the edge off nerves but not much more. What has made a difference to the extremely shy Molly is Reiki.
Thanks Mollycat! We think the Feliway might be helping, but we wanted to see what else we could do as well! I might try him on Zilkene or YuCalm and see if either have an effect. I need to get another Feliway refill anyway so I might ask whilst I'm there.

I had never heard of reiki for cats! Did it work well for her?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

If the Feliway is working then stick with it. I also found Pet Remedy had less of a burnt smell, but I could really smell it quite strong.

I always thought Reiki was hands on like a non-needle acupuncture thing, but it's not, it's some kind of energy transfer, I don't know how it works! But it can be done remotely, my lady just gets the date and time we need to get Molly in her carrier and "sends" the Reiki. About 10-15 minutes before I need to get her loaded, she suddenly becomes very calm and quiet and cooperative (for her) and I am able to be calm and just pick her up and put her in the carrier. I still have to be quick from putting hands on to closing the carrier, but there is no stress and we've been successful every time so far. The success rate was just 1 in 3 attempts before I discovered reiki. Molly isn't vicious or aggressive, just scared, very slippery and far too intelligent to be fooled, tricked or won over with food. She also picks up the slightest change or tension and hides, though she is also clever enough to go sit in the carrier of her own free will once the appointment has been missed and cancelled.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Lucy had hands on reiki at the rescue, not sure how well she liked it seeing as she ended every session drawing blood on the volunteer - I think she had about half a dozen sessions, very impressed at someone persevering given what Lucy did - she's a large cat too so a lot of force behind her paws, think she's the only cat (and between fosters and my own that total is about 265), who has given me a black eye, that was interesting to explain at work!! :lol: