Castrated Thursday - reduced eating on Saturday?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Smokeyblue
Frequent Cat Chatter

Castrated Thursday - reduced eating on Saturday?

Post by Smokeyblue »

Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted on here. Our smokey got the snip on Thursday, and he came round pretty quickly afterwards, was eating & drinking fine with his cone collar. On Saturday, we were out most of the day as we've had some sad family news... he was on his own about 8hrs. Didn't really eat his breakfast while we were out, gave him fresh food etc when got back and still didn't really touch it.
He usually eats two wet foods and a bowl of biscuits a day (easily he loved his food!) Now he isn't even eating one wet, nibbles on biscuits though. Worth mentioning we thought it was his cone collar, so we took it off slightly early but that didn't change anything.

He eats if I take it to him & literally spoon feed him but obviously we can't and don't want to keep doing that.

He is absolutely fine and old self in all other ways... Still playing, going toilet ok etc.

Any idea why this could be?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Castrated Thursday - reduced eating on Saturday?

Post by Mollycat »

I think I would check with the vet on that one. If he was fine at the time and then went off his food it doesn't sound like still feeling out of sorts, could be nothing but equally could be a touch of infection. Do his ears or nose or pads feel hot to the touch at all?
Smokeyblue
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Smokeyblue »

Yeah we have been in touch with the vets (via email only atm, will be calling them tomorrow). Its odd as he is eating his dry food...

Nope nose and pads seem to be fine as well.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I'm racking my brains I know I've had or known of a cat that would only eat dry suddenly after some kind of vet issue and I can't remember who or why now! I do know our Sarah came home with no back teeth at all behind her canines on advice to eat something soft like boiled chicken, and stuck her head straight in the biscuits and crunch crunch crunch. Molly heads for the dry if she's a bit under the weather, too. Possibly Henry did after being snipped, not sure.
Smokeyblue
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Smokeyblue »

Ah if you remember who or why please do let me know.
Everything else is fine with him... just really odd. He still comes running down when we put out fresh food, rubs up behind us and meows for it. Takes two mouthfuls then walks away :?:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Lucy's eating habits changed after her hip op, she wouldn't eat the wet food she'd eaten previously, so had a few weeks on more dry than wet (I gave her one meal of wet a day in the hope of tempting her), I then went and bought pretty much every brand of cat food in PAH, ironically the last one I tried she devoured, it was a brand she hated before her op and now she loves it! But when she isn't feeling 100%, she will favour dry.