pooly kitten. does he hate me or isthis a sign he is gett

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
loubie
Returning Cat Chatter

pooly kitten. does he hate me or isthis a sign he is gett

Post by loubie »

Please don't think I'm stupid for asking as Im new to cat owner ship
and im not sure wether to Take the following behaviour as a good sign or a sign my litteaften hates me.
I took in a sick kitten, , when he arrived he was skinny, couldnt stand without wobbling and falling over, with a high temperature, very lathargic and cat flu. The vet didn't think he would survive but I wanted to give him the chance. He got worse the second day and was admitted into the vets for observation and was put on a drip and saringe fed, he was admitted from 8 am - 7pm then as no animals are there over night he came home and I gave him meds, eye drops regulatly and saringe feeding him every one to two hours. First few days he was to wesk to move so just sat on my knee 24/7 and id take him to his tray. Over next few days he started looks a little better but still t
Very weak. Yesterday during cuddles i even got a purr which i really wasnt expecting as he has been to weak to even hold his head up just a few days before. Today after the vets he seemed alot more alert, even lapped a little food earlier, this is were im not sure about his behaviour. I just gave him a meal by saringe and after he bit me a few times (not hard( and i thought he just hated me for saringe feeding him, then he licked me and the he did it a few times. I was sure he was been aggressive at first but a few seconds later he amazingly started pouncing and chasing a toy I showed him, so now I don't know if he is fed up or starting to feel much better. Like I said I'm quite new to cats and as he was ill when i got him and very lathargic i dont know his personality as he was to ill to do anything. Sorry if i sound stupid but will appreciate any help
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: pooly kitten. does he hate me or isthis a sign he is get

Post by mr_frisky »

First of all, well done for taking in the little kitt. I hope he feels better soon.

If he is very young, biting, particularly when feeding, is what they do to their mothers to aid in the flow of milk, so what he seems to be doing is perfectly natural. If he had a problem with you, he would run away, not purr and hiss at you. You seem to be doing fine.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

it sounds very much as if you have saved his life, and now you are his mum and his siblings rolled into one - so he looks to you for cuddles and play as well as his food and care

far from hating you, I think he will be absolutely devoted to you as he grows up
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

'Mr Frisky' is right. We have raised two cats from tiny kittens. The first one, Willow, was my first ever cat and it was all new to me. We managed to get hold of some kitten formula and a dolly's feeding bottle. That was 11 years ago - now most pet stores have feeding bottles. Willow and Bobby would both pad and bite. It is perfectly normal.
Do you 'toilet' your kitty? As novice owners we were ignorant of all such things. It was our dog Rosie who showed us the way! After we fed Willow, Rosie would wash her and lick her bum until she 'went'. A moist make-up pad or tissue work just as well! :lol:
It can be a long slog, but don't give up. Willow was only about 1 week old when I found her. She is a fine cat now. We have since, successfully, nursed (different) cats through flu, enteritis and a badly broken jaw!
Kay is right too. Though Willow treats me as 'Staff'. :roll:
Don't be disheartened, you are doing a great job.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Great that you were prepared to help this little one get back to good health, cat flu can be devastating in kittens so you've done well to pull him through this. Please make sure you get him vaccinated when he's got through it, it can't stop future flare ups but should make them much less serious.

His behaviour sounds normal, I wouldn't worry he's just doing what kittens do :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I don't have much experience with kittens, but what the others have said makes sense. Well done, and good luck! :)
loubie
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by loubie »

Hi thanks everyone so much for your help and repies I have just got them as I thought id get and email to say about any replies. He didn't need toileting as he had learnt to use the tray as he was over 8 weeks, though very tiny. Makes sense what your all saying and so glad what I did was right, least he doesn't hate me :-) now he's a lot better be is really bouncy and fun though he really does think I'm his mother, now he's off siringe feeds and eating on his own he will knead and suckle on me especially through the night. Not sure if I should ignore the behavior or stop him? It does keep me awake as he will go to my face/ ear to do this and knead my neck. Its cute and glad he's came so far.
If I leave for a while on my return he will just sit by my feet and stare at me and cry almost scream at me for 5 minutes if i sit or lie while he's doing this he will lick my face and purr for a while then
Act as normal. Is this separation anxiety ? I know when I'm out he will just sleep as I will find him curled up in the sun untill he sees me.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Nothing to add to the advice already given, but at the top of the thread, if you click on "subscribe topic" then you will get emails for any replies :)
Moo Bear
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Moo Bear »

It sounds like he is being very well looked after! Midge was similar to your kitten when I first got her. She was very poorly, had to be syringe fed and no-one thought she was going to make it. She was unbelievably clingy and would follow me everywhere, cry if she couldn't see me, sleep under my chin all the time, and I just assumed she would always be like that. But now you'd think she's a completely different cat! She will only let me fuss her in the mornings when she comes and lays on me, any other time she doesn't want to know! She loves going outside, and she's very independent. Obviously all cats are different but from my experience with Midge I don't think that their personality as a kitten, especially when they have been ill and more vulnerable than when in a 'normal' situation, will necessarily dictate their adult personality. Most of the little monkeys will do just as they please :lol:

Would love to read more updates on your little one :)
IMG_363310959778847.jpeg
(39.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ahh! How cute is that?
Bob was so clingy as a baby that I had to find a way of carrying him while having my hands free. I came up with this.
rsz_019.jpg
(157.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
He is in the pocket of my old apron! :D
Moo Bear
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Moo Bear »

Awwwww! You should have changed his name to Roo :lol: so cute!