Very poorly Alfie Cat, being PTS this evening

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Very poorly Alfie Cat, being PTS this evening

Post by Suzynick »

Hi

My elderly cat has had digestive issues for a good few years now, it started as needing to have his anal glands expressed every now and again, and after he started having bouts of sickness and diarrhea we moved him to another vets who said he most likely had IBD or cancer. He was put on long term steroids which stopped the sickness but the diarrhea just kept going from bad to worse.

For several months he has had voluminous amounts of loose stools which has now progressed to pure liquid stools. He 's gradually lost weight and has been between 3.6-3.8kg but in the last couple of weeks it is rapidly dropping and he is now about 2.7kg. We are awaiting his blood test results back because I thought he was perhaps suffering with Exocrine Pancreatic Insuffiency but it could just be malabsorption.

The vet saw him on Friday and said we needed to think about what was best for him. On Tuesday this week my partner thought he had a matter of days left as seemed very withdrawn and we can't get him to eat much food. On Wednesday he perked up, appetite didn't really increase but he seemed more sociable and doesn't appear to be in any pain from what we can tell from his body position etc.

I rang the vets in desperation a few days ago and asked if we could try a B12 injection only to find out that they can't get hold of them, nor can they get hold of the digestive enzymes he might need. So we feel there is nothing more we can do for him, if there isn't any treatment available and can only make him comfortable.

Has anyone got any ideas of what we can do? He is 16.5. We lost our elderly rabbit last year and I really don't think I can cope with losing another pet. I feel like I have let him down.

Thank you
Suzanne
Last edited by Suzynick on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Very poorly Alfie Cat

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear that, I think you need to think about his quality, I remember when I had a cat with IBD and my vet said it wasn't fair to keep her going when the steroids couldn't control the diarrhoea as she would be effectively starving to death as her body wouldn't be able to absorb enough nutrients. 16.5 is a good life. Sadly B12 has been really hard to get hold of for the last couple of years
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I'm afraid I don't have any hope to offer you, only the advice to listen carefully between the lines of what your vet is saying and make the right decision at the right time for Alfie in his best interests. We do all we can for them their whole lives and in the end the day comes when all we have left to give is the ultimate gift of selfless love, to let them go in peace and free from pain. It's not letting him down, it's honouring the wonderful relationship you have shared all these years and respecting his comfort, putting his quality of life before your need to hold him forever.

My Boo struggled with what sounds similar, endless Dire Rear, cycles of crisis put right at first by vitamin B injections, then steroid shots, then daily steroids which we were unable to reduce at all, and finally he was so upset by daily tablets we went to a 6-weekly steroid injection. Only he never made it to the second one. He was just 15. I first thought we would lose him on his 15th birthday, but then the steroids kicked in. Then sudden weight drops, 800g in 6 days one time. Finally some kind or urinary distress, 24 hours IV ABs and fluids to bring down his fever, the vet signed him off but within minutes of arriving home he was back to the distress again, by which time it was out of hours. Thankfully he settled and our last night together was calm and peaceful, but even as I rang the vet to make our last appointment he rallied, jumped up on my lap and washed my hand. They often do, people often do too, it's not getting better it's a step closer to moving on.

I am ok with the way it all happened for us - I can cope with some distress before the end and for lots of reasons I like them to come to their own acceptance if possible, but they don't all happen so peacefully and it can be better to go by "better a day too soon than an hour too late" to avoid the trauma that it can be. Whenever your time is, sooner or later, listen to him and he will tell you. We have the blessing and the curse of being able to give a peaceful end to our loved ones' suffering, the hard part is using that power wisely.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Thank you for the very helpful reply Mollycat :)
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

sorry forgot to thank you too booktigger
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you can find EPI supplement online - Amazon could get it to you by Sunday
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Thanks. Blood results came back last night. He hasn't got EPI nor does he have pancreatis. His vitamin B12 levels are extremely low though. So frustrating that there are no injections available! He is going in vets this morning for fluids, and anti nausea/appetite simulant. As he's gone from having an enormous appetite to an appalling one.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Hoping you guys have some more quality time together ahead
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

will he eat raw meat and liver to boost B12? ground into a liquid paste perhaps?
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Thank you 😊
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Kay wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:06 am will he eat raw meat and liver to boost B12? ground into a liquid paste perhaps?
Possibly, if his treatment this morning gets his appetite going again I'll definitely give it a try. We blended cat food for him last night as he seems to like licking up 'sauce' as opposed to chunks of food.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I have had some success giving mine very tiny (half a teaspoonful) portion of raw liver when they have not wanted to eat. If he is able to absorb B12 it may help. Lamb's liver is perhaps the highest in B12, and is readily available.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

fjm wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:40 pm I have had some success giving mine very tiny (half a teaspoonful) portion of raw liver when they have not wanted to eat. If he is able to absorb B12 it may help. Lamb's liver is perhaps the highest in B12, and is readily available.
Thank you 😊

When we returned from the vets he was very vocal and appeared hungry and managed to eat almost half a pouch. Since then he's been very vocal and unsettled and only seems interested in his water bowl again.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

fjm wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:40 pm I have had some success giving mine very tiny (half a teaspoonful) portion of raw liver when they have not wanted to eat. If he is able to absorb B12 it may help. Lamb's liver is perhaps the highest in B12, and is readily available.
Popped in Sainsbury's earlier and no lambs liver left 😔
He's been very vocal all day and seems like he wants to eat but everything we have offered he's just not that interested in. However I mixed a B12 capsule with some salmon lick e lix and he absolutely wolfed it down so pleased to have got that down him!

We have tried blending a few of his foods but the interest is short lived.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Good old Lick e Lix - always a reliable stand by!
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

fjm wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:00 pm Good old Lick e Lix - always a reliable stand by!
Definitely! I'd been using it for Alfie's brother who has kidney disease. And I used to put it on his renal food to try and get him to eat it. I've given up with it now, he's on Felix with a phosphate binder mixed in instead.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: Very poorly Alfie Cat, being PTS this evening

Post by Suzynick »

Alfie is still with us, but still not eating and his back legs seem weaker. We have spent our whole weekend with him and he seems alert and comfortable. Much as we want him to pass at home, I don't think he will. I'm pretty sure he hasn't slept at all, he must be exhausted. I made the worst phone call ever this morning and booked him in at the vets. I hope the journey won't be too distressing for him.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

So sorry. Be sure to spend a beautiful day together, even if it's just watching him sleep. Wishing you calm and peace.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Thank you. He has been laying on the bed all morning. He keeps nodding off but then jolts upright again. We're not in the vets until much later so we've pretty much spent the last three days with him so I am very thankful.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry. It is a heartbreaking decision to have to make, but it is clear that the time has come for a gentle farewell.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

It is such an awful situation. I have so many doubts of not making the right decision, should I leave him at home in peace, is there something that can be done for him! He seems to try and pick food up but can't, is there something wrong with his teeth for instance!? I am absolutely dreading this, in just 2 hours time it will be all over and there is no going back.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Even Buddhism recognises that taking a life to alleviate suffering with love in your heart is a kind thing.

Alfie will be at peace, a deeper peace than you are able to offer him now. Your doubt is whether it's right for you or whether there was any way to delay the very final moment, or whether there was going to be some miracle.

You have to ask yourself, once Alfie has reached a certain point, delaying only buys you misery, not quality time. It's hard, so hard, to trust in your decision. Be kind to yourself.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Mollycat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:24 pm Even Buddhism recognises that taking a life to alleviate suffering with love in your heart is a kind thing.

Alfie will be at peace, a deeper peace than you are able to offer him now. Your doubt is whether it's right for you or whether there was any way to delay the very final moment, or whether there was going to be some miracle.

You have to ask yourself, once Alfie has reached a certain point, delaying only buys you misery, not quality time. It's hard, so hard, to trust in your decision. Be kind to yourself.

Well we pulled out. He's been quite alert all day and has had a few naps, was fast asleep on bed earlier with my partner. Opened up a pouch of kangaroo (!) Which I got as was intending trying a new protein to see if he had any allergies and he seemed quite keen. Popped to vets for some recovery food.

Under no illusions that we're going to have a miracle but we were with him earlier thinking in a couple of hours he wasn't going to be with us anymore and it didn't seem right. We were not 100%

Here's praying we haven't made a terrible mistake.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

You know your Alfie, if it wasn't time then it wasn't time! Sending love and gentle vibes.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

If he is not suffering and his quality of life is OK, and only you can be the judge of that, I would say let the inevitable happen at home where he is comfortable and avoid what might be a traumatic trip to the vet
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Thanks both. It's so hard and made even harder when there is two people involved in the decision. I have booked the appointment again for this evening. He's had recovery food but he's not actively looking for his food you have to keep shoving it under his nose. He seems comfortable but his liquid stools are now black and we've had three accidents on the floor now as well. I know he's not getting better, other half adores Alfie and they have such a special bond, and he would prefer to keep nursing him at home. I am frightened of him suffering and I don't want that to be my lasting memory. Tonight is going to be really hard but I need to stick with the decision that I have made and let him go. Devastated.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

If it helps, black stools usually indicate bleeding in the intestinal tract, even if Alfie isn't in pain this is not a good development.

It sounds like your family is in a great deal of stress over poor Alfie, which in itself isn't giving him the peaceful ending he deserves. So sad when two of you come down on opposite sides of a debate we all go through internally. On the one hand, end the suffering of an animal we love so dearly and keep our memories happy and light. On the other hand, allow them their natural death, offering pain relief and comfort as best we can without interfering with nature or feel like a traitor and a murderer afterwards.

Has your other half spoken directly with the vet? Would it help?
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Mollycat wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 am If it helps, black stools usually indicate bleeding in the intestinal tract, even if Alfie isn't in pain this is not a good development.

It sounds like your family is in a great deal of stress over poor Alfie, which in itself isn't giving him the peaceful ending he deserves. So sad when two of you come down on opposite sides of a debate we all go through internally. On the one hand, end the suffering of an animal we love so dearly and keep our memories happy and light. On the other hand, allow them their natural death, offering pain relief and comfort as best we can without interfering with nature or feel like a traitor and a murderer afterwards.

Has your other half spoken directly with the vet? Would it help?
Yes I read the same re black stools. They had gradually been getting darker for about the last week. He's peaceful, I have done all my crying away from him so he is in no distress. I am still hoping he passes away peacefully in his sleep before tonight but I am worried sick about him suddenly being in awful pain so I'm just praying he is not too distressed when we take him later. Unfortunately he goes in first whilst they get him ready, and then we are allowed in. I'd rather just be with him full stop.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

He's gone 😢 He spent such a lovely day on the bed with my partner today, they were the best of friends ♥️
Apart from a stressful 20 minute wait outside the vets whilst they'prepared' him, we got to spend time with him before and after and it was quick and peaceful.

We're going to a pet crematorium in the morning for his final send off. His brother Storm seems completely unaware, even though we left Alfie in the middle of the lounge so he could see him. Storm is not the most intelligent of cats and soon plonked himself back on the bed for a snooze. I like to think Alfie is laying right by him ❤️
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am glad you had a last and lovely day, and were able to say goodbye peacefully at the end. Sleep well, Alfie, curled in your humans' hearts.