probiotics

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
simba86
Frequent Cat Chatter

probiotics

Post by simba86 »

hello,
my cat is on antibiotics for ringworm- is it advisable to give cats probiotics after their course of treatment? may be overthinking this, as when I've had antibiotics its also killing the good bacteria and i would take probiotics to help restore- assuming this principle is the same for cats???

if so, any recommendations?
thanks
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: probiotics

Post by Mollycat »

You can, I thought it was normally given after the course of treatment but I'm no expert - my cat couldn't take pre or pro biotics at all.

What will definitely help support his gut if you can get it though is vitamin B and especially B12, there is a combo called Cobalaplex specifically for cats, if you can get hold of it.

I would still ask the vet before giving anything though, even vitamins can interfere with drugs.
simba86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by simba86 »

Mollycat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:30 am You can, I thought it was normally given after the course of treatment but I'm no expert - my cat couldn't take pre or pro biotics at all.

What will definitely help support his gut if you can get it though is vitamin B and especially B12, there is a combo called Cobalaplex specifically for cats, if you can get hold of it.

I would still ask the vet before giving anything though, even vitamins can interfere with drugs.
thank you, certianly does not feel good to be squirting these antibiotics into my cat-judging by her reaction and resistance. i imagine they are killing all the bad bacteria but also any good bacteria too.

am curious about 'healthy' alternatives, as with all the monthly spot on treatments and now these antibiotics all seems a lot for a cat - maybe I'm overthinking it...
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

It's up to you but nasty infestations and infections usually need nasty chemicals to beat them. Whether flea treatment is needed as often as monthly will depend on your choice and your cat's lifestyle. My indoor only cats (and my past in-out cats too) get flea treatment as needed, Molly has had 3 doses in 8 years and we have no fleas at all.

Antibiotics however are not given lightly. I have personally been through nearly a decade of really miserable symptoms that cleared up as suddenly and mysteriously as they began when I had a tooth removed and two courses of heavy duty ABs. I wouldn't want to put my pets through what I've been through, when it's so easily solved with properly targeted chemicals short term.