Cat Health Excessive Meowing at night

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jodid
New Cat Chatter

Cat Health Excessive Meowing at night

Post by Jodid »

Hi
I am new to this forum today. I live in the Southeastern part of the United States. Have 3 cats. 2 Maine Coon (not pedigree) cats and one bombay panther. My brown girl Nimh who is the bombay is older and meowing all the time. I took her to a local vet and they did some blood work. Said that her thyroid and kidneys are in good working order. She is only an inside cat and very well cared for. Her continual meowing is distressing for us and for her. We have had to put her in a separate room at night because her yowling is so loud we can't sleep. We miss her sleeping with us. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been thinking about getting a second opinion from another vet. She is almost 14 years old in human years. Could this be dementia?

Thank you all,
Jodid
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Health Excessive Meowing at night

Post by Mollycat »

I have a yowler, she has been like it since I got her aged 6. 2 years ago aged 12 she was treated for hyperthyroidism and they yowling got better, but it hasn't stopped. I've had a cat with dementia before, this isn't it either.

Dementia is possible, your vet should be able to advise or refer you, if pain and hyperthyroidism have been eliminated. So this is a new behaviour? Has anything changed in the house or family? Is is possible she is going a bit deaf?
Doona
New Cat Chatter

Post by Doona »

hi - my 18 year old cat started yowling (vocalising) about a year ago and the vet thought it was either toothache or arthritis. However the cat refused all food that had any kind of pain medication in it so I learned to live with it. But now she has a new condition and she is accepting the pain medication (gabapentin) and all yowling has stopped. We still don't know what it is but the peace is much appreciated. My biggest learning these days is to remember that not every day will be the same and that she's not going to 'get better'. It is as it is. Hope you get some peace too.
Epsom-cat-lady
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Epsom-cat-lady »

Hi I feel for you as my deff 19 year old likes to really meow at night as well.
May be like the other person has said she is deff as well.
I should have known she was losing her hearing as she didn’t respond to the can of cream when we shook it 🤦🏻‍♀️ anymore.
The loudness comes of course as they can’t here.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

My girl had a dental 2 weeks after my previous comment, two extractions due to Tooth Resorption. The yowling has significantly reduced and she is also much more relaxed with us, chilling on the sofa or on the bed with us which was never her thing. She is sitting next to me on the sofa now washing her face. She's like a whole new cat.