Poor Poorly Pixie

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ChonairJazz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Poor Poorly Pixie

Post by ChonairJazz »

My parents' cat, Pixie, is very poorly and it's looking increasingly likely that she'll have to be put to sleep. She went off her food a few months ago, was being very picky with regards to eating. She'd always been a bit picky anyway so it wasn't any cause for alarm at first, but then she started being finicky drinking too and went off food completely which understandably had my parents concerned. Trip to the vet revealed she had pancreatitis, and they also mentioned clostridium. Vet thinks she initially had an infection, (god knows where that came from?), which had triggered the pancreatitis, and they put her on antibiotics to tackle any remaining infection, and anti-inflammatories to help bring down the inflammation. She perked up and started eating small amounts again, vet said it looked like she was on the up, but warned that the pancreatitis might be chronic and therefore was probably something that would flare up every now and then which my parents might just have to manage. They were ok with the idea of doing this, as long as she would be ok. She's been on the antibiotics pretty much since she came home.

A couple of weeks ago she went downhill again. She eats on average one day in three now. She's been in and out of the vets, lost a tonne of weight, and when she does eat, it's only a little and she ends up looking bloated and sorry for herself afterwards. Parents took her back to the vet again a few days ago, they scanned her and took blood, and she's suffering from inflammation in multiple organs, including her gall bladder and pancreas, and is also B12 deficient on top of that. Vet sent her home with more antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, B12 powder, and basically "cat Oromorph", but she won't eat, so it's no use putting it on her food, and struggling with her to get it down her throat via tablet or syringe is really upsetting and distressing for her. She cries and struggles and hurts herself. Because she has inflammation, she's probably also in discomfort, which is really upsetting for us.

My parents are at their wits end, and although they don't want to give up on her, nothing is working and the things that help even slightly are just stressing her out more. She's getting upset by the constant trips to and from the vet and all the tests (she's missing chunks of fur in multiple places from a range of different blood tests and scans) and it's made harder by the fact that she has good days too, when she's fine and seems happy and alive. My parents think "Ok maybe we shouldn't just yet" and then she relapses again...

I really honestly thought she would pull through this. She was doing so well. But if this is what life is going to be like for her from now on, we're just wondering if it's worth it. If we KNEW she would eventually pull through, and that this would all pay off we'd keep fighting for her, but it's just so hard to know what to do now.

Sorry, I'm not posting this for any reason, just to vent really. Thanks for reading.