What does this mean?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
XxPrincess1x
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

What does this mean?

Post by XxPrincess1x »

Hi everyone, I'd really like to know what this behaviour means.
Some backstory:
Me and my cat Prince used to live with my mum with her 3 dogs, 2 cats and various other pets. Prince didn't necessarily dislike the cats but they really didn't like him. The dogs on the other hand Prince quite enjoyed being around. And the dogs felt the same too and would get excited when he was around. This has been the case for the 9 years we've had Prince but as of a year and a half ago Prince moved in with me and my partner.

So one time my partner and I visited my parents for dinner. Her dogs loved all the attention we were giving them, especially getting to sit on my partners lap. We get home, and Prince goes nuts! He's nuzzling and rubbing himself off the coat my partner was wearing, clawing at it and smelling it. The same with his trousers. I wasn't sure whether he was enjoying the familiar smell, if he maybe misses the dogs or what? Any suggestions as to why my cat behaved this way?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: What does this mean?

Post by Mollycat »

We had this bizarre behaviour from 2 cats and a dog ... to a second hand motorbike jacket that my partner bought. Like catnip!

I have also seen something similar when our vet visited on a social call from my cat at the time (vet was my aunt) and the cat went crazy on her coat for a while then curled up and fell asleep on it. She used to bite me and sulk if she smelled another cat on me.

On the other hand my Bobby when I got him and for the first time he was properly alone, made it very clear he was miserable. Every time he heard a cat outside he would run to the window calling and calling and looking. He became very clingy to the point he would go mad while I took the rubbish out, and his fur (Ragdoll) was so full of static electricity I got sparks trying to stroke him. We got Molly, and even though she didn't want to mutual groom or cuddle up, he was instantly fine again.
XxPrincess1x
New Cat Chatter

Re: What does this mean?

Post by XxPrincess1x »

Hi, thanks for the reply! Cats can be quite strange haha I guess my problem is I really want to get a kitten so I'm trying to see if he's showing any signs of wanting company. In fact my dream is to get a Ragdoll kitten! Aw your cat Bobby sounds adorable and I'm glad to hear he's doing better now he has Molly 😊