Weird smell in the house

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
weirdCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Weird smell in the house

Post by weirdCat »

Some weeks ago, I adopted a shy cat.
(She’s now more or less used to us -pet and play happens often as well).

Nonetheless, I realized after moving the litter from the original place, that there’s a persistent smell coming from a tree (normal natural tree -Christmas type).
Any ideas of what that can be?
Haven’t seen her spraying or peeing (especially as the smell comes from the branch area, not the base of the tree, which the cat reaches). But she scratches it many times.

And it’s definitely from the cats action.
weirdCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Weird smell in the house

Post by weirdCat »

I heard there are Scent Glands on the paws. Maybe from that? Cause it seems it’s from its nails.
No spray (pee) marks
weirdCat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by weirdCat »

Nobody has experience with this?
I guess is glands.
I saw somewhere online that it could be anal glands, because the cat is scared?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I can't say i have experienced it, but i would ask how you know it is from the cats actions.

A cat has many scent glands that they use to mark territory, the ones at the back end are most well known, you say you haven't seen her spraying or peeing against the tree and it seems to be in a different area to where she would spray or pee so that does seem to take out that option. I would ask whether she is spayed because while male cats are known for their pungent scent and unspayed female might also produce quite an odour. Checking for urine spray or pee is easy enough and i would suggest in investing a UV torch to check places.

Cats do have scent glands on their face and paws, but normally these are mild enough that humans don't notice them, if that was the cause I think you would notice elsewhere not just on the tree.

So my thought is it is a scent that the tree itself is giving off. If the cat is scratching at it, it could be that they are getting through the outer bark and it is the tree sap you can smell. You describe it as a Christmas tree type, but that covers a lot of different types of tree, some of which can have very pungent, resin sap, true Maple syrup is a tree sap, and i'm sure you could imagine what that would smell like. In some trees, if the bark is damaged, there can be a natural system of protecting the tree from infection or further damage by letting the sap coat the area, rather like blood clotting and forming a scap on us. I am also assuming that the tree and cat are both kept inside, so it could be that the tree needs repotting, even if it is outside then it could be that there is something in the soil that the tree is taking up and then emitting through it's bark or needles. Finally it could be a time thing, assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, it is just coming into spring, it could be that the tree is giving out a scent to attract insects etc, which becomes particularly pungent when the cat brushes against any needles, it could be a way of stopping grazing animals eating any new growth. Plants in their own way are just as complicated as animals, they are just a lot quieter about things.