Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Post Reply
User avatar
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: East Mids

Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by destinyscheeks » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:29 pm

I need to order some more food for King Tobias Warrior.

Hes been here for a week now and so far Ive been feeding him Bozita Chunks Chicken and Gravy (it has the highest % in meat) but Ive just realised its a raw diet which some people say are okay for FIV+ cats and some others state otherwise.

Pets protection were feeding him Whiskers and Purina One biscuits but I changed his diet to wet food only (and beaphar vitamins as a sub to the dry food he was on before). Anything that has a high % in meat and says it boosts a cats immune system is something Im attracted to haha!

So what Id really like to know is:

-If this food (as its raw) is bad for him in the long haul
-Whats the true definition of a 'raw diet' - Im assuming it means feeding your cat the same food you'd eat ie chicken, tuna, salmon etc
-what "complete food" means
-If you feed your cats the same thing daily/weekly (or mix it up). I also bought Applaws but a Multipack box of 7 x 100g will only last 2-3 days and its just under a fiver :o The Bozita will last a week and its only £6!

User avatar
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3167
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm
No. of cats in household: 6
Location: Co. Fermanagh

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by bobbys girl » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:04 pm

I can only go by what my FIV+ boy gets (the same as the others). I give them Applaws as a treat - like a Sunday roast :lol: . At the moment they are having James Wellbeloved Senior Fish - dry food (that's for older cats NOT that it's full of old fish :roll: ) and a mix of Felix AGAIL, Lidl's Coshida in jelly and Gourmet Perle.

Some folks give their cats raw chicken wings (for their gums and teeth) but my lot were not impressed and I had a freezer full of chicken wings!

I tend to shop around for offers. Sometimes, when I'm cooking, a little bit of mince or, like tonight tuna, might just happen to find it's way into a cat bowl.

When we first got Purdy, she was just not eating, we tried everything. One night we were having prawns and there were a few left over. We tried her with them and she loved them. So a small bag of prawns is often on the shopping list. When it is Bobby gets some too.

I must be doing something right, he's a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed tube of solid muscle.

User avatar
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: East Mids

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by destinyscheeks » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Ive been giving him a few pieces of cooked chicken - it should be raw and not cooked?

User avatar
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3627
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 pm
No. of cats in household: 6
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by Crewella » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:45 am

I feed a huge variety of stuff as I, personally, believe that that's how balance is achieved. Cats naturally eat live prey which includes bones and all and gives them exactly what they need - a 'complete' food mimics that full range of vitamins and minerals. Just meat on its own, even raw, would not do that.

User avatar
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: East Mids

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by destinyscheeks » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Crewella wrote:I feed a huge variety of stuff as I, personally, believe that that's how balance is achieved. Cats naturally eat live prey which includes bones and all and gives them exactly what they need - a 'complete' food mimics that full range of vitamins and minerals. Just meat on its own, even raw, would not do that.
Would you mind elaborating on what you feed your cat(s)?

I read on another site that raw chicken wings are good for their teeth also....

User avatar
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3627
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 pm
No. of cats in household: 6
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by Crewella » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Because I have six or seven cats here usually and they all seem to like something different, but all get fed the same at each meal, they get a mixture of cheap and premium brands, both tinned and pouches, half wet and half dry, and plain cooked chicken or fish a couple of times a week. I used to give them (the ones with teeth - I have a couple of oldies with no teeth!) raw chicken wings for their teeth but my Daz now catches so much in our garden (mice, squirrels, rabbits, glis glis, the odd pigeon ...) that he brings home to share with the others that their teeth get a good workout anyway!

User avatar
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: East Mids

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by destinyscheeks » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:18 am

Crewella wrote:Because I have six or seven cats here usually and they all seem to like something different, but all get fed the same at each meal, they get a mixture of cheap and premium brands, both tinned and pouches, half wet and half dry, and plain cooked chicken or fish a couple of times a week. I used to give them (the ones with teeth - I have a couple of oldies with no teeth!) raw chicken wings for their teeth but my Daz now catches so much in our garden (mice, squirrels, rabbits, glis glis, the odd pigeon ...) that he brings home to share with the others that their teeth get a good workout anyway!
HAHAHA! So cute! Hope you dont mind me asking but are all your cats FIV+?

User avatar
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3627
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 pm
No. of cats in household: 6
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by Crewella » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:16 am

Nope, just one of my residents is FIV+, but he has no teeth so it would be hard for him to pass it on. I'm in the process of integrating him with the rest of the gang. :)

Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by Cussypat1974 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:28 am

I have 30 rescues who are a mix of FIV and not FIV. Most love a chicken wing but the odd one doesn't or cannot eat it (lack of teeth again!). I pretty much do what crewella does. A mix of wet and dry and premium and cheap brands. I buy stuff that is on offer and feed the best I can afford. I rarely give them fish though, simply because fish is very expensive to buy! Chicken wings are a lot cheaper.
I have never had a problem with FIV cats eating raw chicken, but it has to be fresh and of human grade. I woildn't offer it to a cat that was clinically ill, but other than that, if they are hunting or eating from other's hunts, then supermarket chicken is less contaminated than wild birds or rodents for sure. All birds basically salmonella, and vets HAVE to caution against this. Vets are worriers, basically, especially small animal vets!
Yes, an FIV cat is more likely to catch salmonella from a chicken wing than a non-FIV cat. Statistically. But if that cat is out eating rats then the chicken wing is probably the cleanest thing he has eaten in weeks!

Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by Cussypat1974 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:30 am

I have one cat who can no longer eat raw chicken without getting diarrhoea. She is 18 and FIV negative. She is on the most expensive blooming food I have ever seen and is gonna be switched to taste of the wild once the current bag is finished!

User avatar
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: East Mids

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by destinyscheeks » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:06 pm

Cussypat1974 wrote:I have 30 rescues who are a mix of FIV and not FIV. Most love a chicken wing but the odd one doesn't or cannot eat it (lack of teeth again!). I pretty much do what crewella does. A mix of wet and dry and premium and cheap brands. I buy stuff that is on offer and feed the best I can afford. I rarely give them fish though, simply because fish is very expensive to buy! Chicken wings are a lot cheaper.
I have never had a problem with FIV cats eating raw chicken, but it has to be fresh and of human grade. I woildn't offer it to a cat that was clinically ill, but other than that, if they are hunting or eating from other's hunts, then supermarket chicken is less contaminated than wild birds or rodents for sure. All birds basically salmonella, and vets HAVE to caution against this. Vets are worriers, basically, especially small animal vets!
Yes, an FIV cat is more likely to catch salmonella from a chicken wing than a non-FIV cat. Statistically. But if that cat is out eating rats then the chicken wing is probably the cleanest thing he has eaten in weeks!
Thanks for the info/feedback. Much appreciated

msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by msalsa » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi
If you would like a good on line company to look at try this link, I used them for my Ted, however he was not FIV. They are local to me but do deliver all over. I fed him raw and he loved it and also some dry too it worked for me and him but as I said not FIV.

http://www.nurturingbynature.co.uk/

User avatar
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: East Mids

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by destinyscheeks » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:21 am

msalsa wrote:Hi
If you would like a good on line company to look at try this link, I used them for my Ted, however he was not FIV. They are local to me but do deliver all over. I fed him raw and he loved it and also some dry too it worked for me and him but as I said not FIV.

http://www.nurturingbynature.co.uk/
Thanks

User avatar
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 1352
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm
No. of cats in household: 4
Location: Whitstable, Kent

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by MarkB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:12 am

I posted this in general, but might be worth a read. Basically it says that a meat-based diet keeps cats stomach acid at the required PH - ie very acidic, which not only helps them digest food, but also kills salmonella and other bugs. Food high in carbs increases PH (makes acid more alkaline)which can cause digestive problems. http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/ans ... ic-acidity

User avatar
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: East Mids

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by destinyscheeks » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:43 am

At the moment he is being fed on Hills Prescription wet and dry which has helped immensely (and every now and again I give him chicken wings from Asdas). I dont know why but all the other foods I fed him on (Bozita etc) gave him bad diarrhoea

Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by Cussypat1974 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:15 am

Just realising now that I didn't address the absolute MOST important part of your original post....... And that is the meaning of "complete" food.

A complete food is one that provides all the nourishment the body needs. Most cat food provides this, it is it definitely worth making sure that whatever you feed (raw/cooked/commercial/homemade) actually gives your cat everything they need to live and thrive! So if you are feeding a commercial brand, make sure it says "complete" on the label. If it doesn't it is lacking in something...... That could be an essential vitamin or mineral. As in..... Apples are good for us, but if you ONLY eat apples, you will end up in trouble due to lack of iron, protein etc!

If you are using a homemade diet (raw or cooked) you need to do a LOT of research. This is not something a general practitioner type vet can do........ You need a consult with a veterinary nutritionist. There are probably loads of websites with recipes, but personally Iave never seen one that I would trust enough. Proper vet nutritionists are seriously highly qualified and I doubt they would be posting free recipes anywhere (but I may be wrong of course!).

I spoke to a vet I was working with recently about raw feeding actually. There is now a lot of scientific evidence to show it helps with issues like obesity and IBD. However, the problems remain about making it nutritionally complete, and the risk of contamination is ever present. Apparently, the vast majority of even human grade chicken meat is contaminated by salmonella. This is killed in the cooking process and why us humans don't eat it raw, ever!

So it DOES pose more of a risk to our carnivorous pets of we feed it raw. And it means that few vets will be brave enough to advise feeding it...... If they do, and the dog/cat gets salmonella, they could lose their business in the legal aftermath!

You really have to know the risks, asses them in regards to your own animal and their health and lifestyle, make a decision and live with the consequences.......

As I said..... I feed commercial complete foods, my guys hunt rats, and get human grade chicken as a treat when I can afford it!

Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by Cussypat1974 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:19 am

Also, while it would be easy to assume that high protein would be a GOOD thing in any cat or dog food, too. Itch protein can lead to kidney issues. This is just an example of how a diet needs to be BALANCED. Commercial foods are great in that sense. People slate the companies often, but of not for those companies, we would all be feeding our pets poor diets eh?

leglessp21
New Cat Chatter
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Raw diet for FIV cats? Yea or neh?

Post by leglessp21 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:14 am

My cat gets a variety of dried... raw and gud tinned food....she is a happy healthy cat... :D

Post Reply