Jazz

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
petelee1982
New Cat Chatter

Jazz

Post by petelee1982 »

Yesterday my little boy cat Jazz (1½ years old) was tested positive for FIV, we took him to the vets for having diarrhoea that wouldn't go away. The vet suggested to put him down or to make him a indoor cat but strongly didn't recommended this as the there will be a lot of Vets bills. It was my wife that took him to the vets and going on what the vets said she couldn't see no other opinion but to put him down, I always like to look at every opportunity so I phoned my insurance to see how I stood him them. They said that Jazz would still be covered and that premium wouldn't change (this will only change if/when I start making claims). So this got me thinking, if insurers are not bothered about the condition then is there hope?, I started to do my research and came across this site with the the myths of FIV. There is hope that Jazz can live a normal life, we have two older cats they was tested and came back negative. Jazz isn't a vicious cat, he is the complete opposite, everyone comments on how lovely and friendly he is. IMO the risk of him passing the virus is minimal. So we have decided to keep him, at best he will live a long and happy life with us, and worst we would have have to give him to a shelter if we can't cope. Putting him to sleep isn't a opinion now that I have read the other side of the story.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Jazz

Post by Crewella »

I'm wary that I've misunderstood this and that your cat is actually more ill that just testing positive for FIV, but if that's all it is I'm horrified that this still happens!!

My FIV+ boy is happy and healthy, living the life he was supposed to live - I just keep a close eye on him, that's all. The most important thing is that he is neutered. Good on you for looking into this, I wish you both a long and happy life. :)

You might find this website of interest:

http://www.fivcats.com/FIV/fiv_mixed_households.html
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Jazz

Post by bobbys girl »

:shock: I've just seen this post (I've been away all weekend). I agree with Helen.

We found out Bob was FIV+ when a graze became infected and would not heal. At no time did our vet suggest they put him down. We were told it would be best to keep him as an indoor cat, but as our other cats come and go as they like and he was unhappy inside, we now let him come and go as he wants. We do keep a close eye on him but to all intents and purposes he is a 'normal', everyday cat.

As Helen said, if your cat is already ill, that MAY make a difference. But if they are suggesting PTS I would find another vet ASAP!